Pentax DSLR first camera

AA batteries? Weak!

Why? You can buy rechargeable AA batteries for much less than proprietary batteries from manufacturers like Canon and Nikon. And if all your batteries are flat, you can buy non-rechargeable AA batteries almost anywhere to keep shooting. To me the use of AA batteries looks like an advantage.

Please explain why EVERY Canon and Nikon (most other brands too) don't use AA batteries??

Yea they are real handy...:thumbdown:

To limit the weight and the bulk... They are practical but do have downsides

I've compared the weight difference of my mg to a canon eos 50d (or whatever it was) and it would take more than four AA batteries to make up the weight. the canon was super light, i would rather have it so it feel like i have got hold of something

AA batteries? Weak!

Why? You can buy rechargeable AA batteries for much less than proprietary batteries from manufacturers like Canon and Nikon. And if all your batteries are flat, you can buy non-rechargeable AA batteries almost anywhere to keep shooting. To me the use of AA batteries looks like an advantage.

Actually, It only costs me £12 for a new battery for my camera, Can get it for £6 though...

plus they charge quicker( takes me about an hour - 2hours and i can shoot all day, and the next.)

AA batterys run out quickly meaning constant changing and take longer to charge.

Get the Pentax...better brand than Nikon overall.
Yeah, that's why Pentax just dominates the DSLR market right now.

was that sarcasm or are you being serious?
That was dripping with sarcasm.

I personally wouldn't buy a camera that ran on AA's. They generally have short battery life and AA recharables generally suck. They have even shorter life than non-rechargables in my experience.

I can run my Canon 5D on AA's in emergencies. If I can get 1000 shots on a OEM battery I can maybe get 200 on AA's in my Canon.

Yeah, that's why Pentax just dominates the DSLR market right now.

was that sarcasm or are you being serious?
That was dripping with sarcasm.

I personally wouldn't buy a camera that ran on AA's. They generally have short battery life and AA recharables generally suck. They have even shorter life than non-rechargables in my experience.

I can run my Canon 5D on AA's in emergencies. If I can get 1000 shots on a OEM battery I can maybe get 200 on AA's in my Canon.

and what exactly is so bad with pentax dslr apart from a poor photo count with double A's?

and what exactly is so bad with pentax dslr apart from a poor photo count with double A's?
I never said anything was bad about it. I don't own one and probably never will, so I can't give you an opinion on the quality of the camera.

I can point you to some online reviews that give it very favorable remarks. What I've read about it would indicate that it's a fine camera.

And in this review:

Pentax K2000 Review

The author says that it gets 1,500+ shots on a set of batteries. That's pretty damn good.

Thanks Tharmsen, if the reviews say its that good then i think i will buy it, if anyone else has anything to say about this camera and/or experience (with the specific camera or pentax dslr's) then please comment.

The only thing I can add is that the reason I looked at only Nikon and Canon was because that's what my friends/family had, so if need be we can swap lenses, etc around.

Hasn't happened yet but I'm happy with my decision (Nikon).

I've heard nothing but good about the Pentax, though - enjoy!

PS
Have you physically held it in your hands? If it feels right, go for it... if not, look around at other options.

Most reactions

Back