Pentax K1000 - Advance Issues ~

Cece Tang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone - Hoping to get some help with this camera :)

My advance lever is not pulling film, after I load it, and crank the advance nothing happens at all, and I cannot use the shutter release at all.
So I took off the bottom, and I can manually turn the advance with my screw driver, and then the shutter release will work. But otherwise it doesn't do anything at all. I attached a video of what it looks like.
I'd appreciate any help at all, thanks so much :)

Hmm, I am not familiar with the mechanics of the Pentax K1000 ... it does sound like some mechanism is not engaging the gears that couple with the spool ... but I cannot provide any tips on getting that working.
You should try to find a Service Manual for it.

The raspy sound it makes when you advance the lever is definitely not normal. My guess is something is stripped, broken or missing just below the advance lever.

The K1000 was made over a very long period and there are minor variations to its innards over that time. If yours is a “3-screw” type (3 screws holding on bottom plate) then there is a YouTuber named "Fix Old Cameras" who has a video showing how to remove the camera's top cover. Though yours may still differ slightly from the one in his video. Be mindful of his warnings about the left handed screw(s).

If yours is a “5-screw” type (latest version made in China) then I don't recommend you follow that video because you may break the plastic rewind shaft (as I have done) if you try to remove the rewind knob as given in his video.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back