Pentax K1000... Problem with color photos...

IanIanBoBian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got back a few rolls of color film that I had developed, and I'm really disappointed with the results. All of the photos are really gray and washed out. There's like no contrast, and the colors are really dull. I've had this problem before with color photos, they just don't seem very vibrant. I don't know if it's something that I'm doing, or what. When I took a photography class, I used the same camera the same way, and had great results with black and white film, and the prints that I made myself. Great contrast and clarity, no problems whatsoever. But now, even pictures I take outside are dull and gray. I know how to use the light meter and everything, so what is the problem? Is it something I'm doing? The film? The people making the prints? What's going on?

Thanks for the help. As soon as I looked at the prints I decided it was time to join a forum and get some opinions. Maybe later I'll scan some of the black and white prints, and some of the color ones I just got back.

You could always go back to the lab and ask if it was something on their side. Was your camera see for the correct speed film? Any filters that may cause a loss in contrast from light reflecting off of it?

Since I dont shoot film I cant really offer any help, other than talking to the lab.

If the problem is one of exposure then my advice would be to make sure the meter is accurate, preferably compare with a handheld meter before setting shutter speed and aperture. But since you say the problem is one of dull 'washed out' colours I'm more inclined to think the problem is either with the film (perhaps it was out of date and/or not stored well?) or with the lab. Assuming of course that it's not just a matter of the light you were shooting in. But obviously some scans would give a better idea of what could be going wrong.

IMO there are several possibilites that would lead to your results

1. improper exposure and a lab tech tried to fix it in the printing step

2. lab techs did a bad job of printing the stuff despite proper exposure

3. the film is bad/old/out of date

4. your looking for velvia results on kodak gold. (IE pro films and slide films will generally give you better colors, more vibrant colors more contrast then the cheapo stuff you pick up in the film section of walgreens)

5. bad lighting. (with color you get more vivid colors with low sun)

since you know about cameras, its probably the lab tech or the film.

as for film, i would try Fugi Reala, or velvia (my fav)
or Kodak Ultra Color

Most reactions

Back