Pentax K1000 tips

perylousdemon

TPF owns my soul...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently received a Pentax K1000 film SLR from my boyfriend's father, along with a Vivitar 70-210mm macro zoom lens. The only film SLR I have any experience with is the Pentax ZXM I used in my photography class a year or so ago, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either the aforementioned camera or the lens and could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Dana

Hello there, welcome to the forum! The ZX-M is basically just an updating of the K1000. Obviously there are some significant differences, but in general operation the K1000 is very similar to the ZX-M in Manual mode. For metering, just center the viewfinder on something of fairly neutral neutral tone (I find the palm of the hand pretty good) or if possible use a handheld light meter, as the meter in the camera may no longer be accurate. As for the Vivitar lens, I suspect it's one of the ones made by Kiron; they tend to be better than some of the other cheaper zooms of the era. As with any zoom though it will perform better with the aperture stopped down a bit.

For a general guide to use, here is the K1000 manual.

It's a great camera--it's what I use exclusively. Glass for it seems pretty cheap. I'd look into getting a 50mm Pentax prime for it. I've had good luck with mine. There's a glut of them on eBay, too.

I also suggest getting a 50mm prime for that camera. The 50mm 1.7s are stupidly cheap nowadays; they are very very sharp lenses.

I purchased my K1000 back in 1979!!! I still use it today. It is a real good manual camera, in my opinion.

I have the KX, which is pretty much the same as the K1000, with a couple added features. I very much like this camera, and I'd suggest that you treat it very nicely. It never fights, and will always turn out some amazing photos. Enjoy it!

Most reactions

Back