Pentax K10D Lens Mount

The K-mount is the same bayonet mount (the K mount) that Pentax has used since the mid-'70s, so if you have anything from the original K-series onwards (all can be found here http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/) then the lenses will mount straight on the K10d and allow metering. However you have the 42mm screwmount... this will also mount on the K10d and will allow stop-down metering, but will require an adapter. The adapter however is only metal, no optics or electronics required so it is very affordable.

Is that adapter available for any DSLR body or just the K10D. I have a '72 Spotmatic II (pentax) and yes the lesnes are of the screwmount variety. I have 4 lenses (that are old but amazing) and I would love to use them on a DSLR is possible, I was originaly looking at the D80, but if the K10D is the only one that will support these lenses that I already own, I would be more inclined to get the pentax. (assuming that I will not use autofocus)

Actually in addition to any Pentax dSLR you can also use m42 lenses (with the right adapter) on the Canon EF mount, or the Minolta/Sony A-mount. Unfortunately this is not the case with Nikon; because of a spacing difference even with an adapter you would lose infinity focus, plus I think the metering sitation is more complicated. But Canon, Pentax or Sony should work with a basic metal ring adapter and still allow stop-down metering.

It's cool to do...if you have some sweet lenses to use. I don't see much point if you are trying to mount cheap a 30 year old lens.

And yes, it would be more difficult to manage.

It won't be as convenient to meter stopped-down; generally you would have to compose and focus with the aperture wide-open, before stopping down to meter. Or as Mike says you could just use a handheld meter. Either way the quality of the images won't suffer unless the lens is poor. I tried several old M42 lenses on my dSLR; some were not very good so obviously there was no point using them over a modern zoom, but I used a 50mm f/1.4 before I replaced it with an autofocus one; it hasn't got less sharp over the years and I had some good results with it. Also I still use an old 85mm f/2 with an adapter; yes it's not all that convenient but it costs a lot less than an equivalent modern lens and performs very well. Some people will say that CAD/CAM and various technologies make today's lenses much better... personally I think that at least when it comes to fairly basic primes, a good lens is a good lens. So if your lenses really are good then it could be worth it, but obviously it won't be as convenient as using a modern autofocus lens with a modern autofocus camera. Apart from anything else, most viewfinders and focusing screens now are designed to aid auto rather than manual focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back