Pentax K20D or Nikon D300??

Everyone always says this, but what exactly does a pro need to do that can't be done with high quality prosumer camera? We know it's not megapixels. 10mp is enough to do almost anything. It's all relative, and it's all aline that everyone gets fed so they spend more money, or feel like their stuff is inadequate. The mid level cameras of today, blow away the professional cameras of 5 years ago. So were the guys 5 years ago subprofessional? Tech got better and everyone drew a new line, just because better stuff is available. But I've still yet to find a real world situation where my camera wasn't professional enough.

Well, that's not all entirely true.

It's not that you can't do pro work with a lesser camera... you can. Chris Burke (another site member) does his work with D40s. It's just that the lesser bodies tend to have limitations which can make pro work harder, and they also tend to be less durable, and equipment tends to get banged around more when you're working with it in more of a pro setting.

For example... the D60 only has three focus points, the D300 has 51. The D40 and D60 have no internal focus motor. The D80/90 and below have certain very commonly needed controls that are not physical controls, but must be changed through a menu or through a combination of holding buttons and turning dials, vs. a dedicated physical control, etc.

There are also capabilities differences- higher ISOs, better high-ISO noise handling, faster shutter speeds, etc.

Simple fact is better bodies are more enabling and lesser bodies can be restrictive or at least slow you down. Pros don't tend to want to be restricted, and they CERTAINLY do not want to be slow.

WOW! I officially LOVE this site! What a great debate going on! I think I have confused myself further as to which camera to buy, haha. But I definately do plan on going pro. For now, I am practicing, practicing, practicing. I just REALLY feel like I've out grown this camera, and I really hate how slow it is to focus, and there's a few other things I'd change about it, as well. It was a great little well priced entry camera, but I need something to grow with. By the sounds of it, people seem to lean towards Nikon. Is that because of popularity or superiority? I guess from what I've 'researched', Pentax just doesn't have any camera's in the 'pro' level, like Canon and Nikon, so maybe that's it? Either way, I've got alot alot of info from all of you. It's going to be a tuffy.
When you say planning on going pro, do you mean you will shoot for popular magazines and will have photography as a JOB, or do you mean you want to have your own photography website and do wedding photography here and there?

Choose whatever, although I'd lean towards pentax, but just don't choose Canon. It will take a hell of a long time getting used to the controls (ie. Reversed Zoom (18 on left and 55 on right) Unless you really want to, that is.
I was thinking about switching to Nikon but decided not to because I have a quality lens and a high-end flash, and once I saw the K-7 information released, my jaw dropped and I stayed forevurs.

both canon and nikon provide a higher quality product with more consistency. which is what a professional or enthusiast looks for. once you start buying high end glass it's not very easy to switch to another brand without a decent hit to the wallet. so my advice is always to buy the best you can afford that you are most comfortable with.
i went the nikon route because i liked the way it felt when i held it, and my dad has nikon gear as well (has for 30+ years) so being able to share lenses is a huge benefit.
i don't see why people are so hyped about the K-7 though. the specs are nothing spectacular. they look standard for this years mid-level DSLRs although late to the game.

both canon and nikon provide a higher quality product with more consistency. which is what a professional or enthusiast looks for. once you start buying high end glass it's not very easy to switch to another brand without a decent hit to the wallet. so my advice is always to buy the best you can afford that you are most comfortable with.
i went the nikon route because i liked the way it felt when i held it, and my dad has nikon gear as well (has for 30+ years) so being able to share lenses is a huge benefit.
Examples? I haven't run into a situation where Canon's or Nikon's same-level product was better than Pentax. Pentax has always been better for me. For instance, the kit lenses, which fail in Nikon and Canon. Pentax bodies feel a lot more durable and comfortable to hold. The lens mounts are made of metal and not plastic. Tell me something that Canon and Nikon have done to out-do the Pentax (Don't compare a 1D or D3 to a K20D, they're on different levels)
Canon and Nikon glass is a LOT more expensive and has the equal quality as the same Pentax lenses. Canon and Nikon are the Apple of the camera industry. They are flashy, shiny, cost a lot, and are branded with a popular name. Down deep, they're not so amazing. I have compared the K100D and Rebel XT multiple times, guess which one was better? Pentax.

Examples? I haven't run into a situation where Canon's or Nikon's same-level product was better than Pentax. Pentax has always been better for me. For instance, the kit lenses, which fail in Nikon and Canon. Pentax bodies feel a lot more durable and comfortable to hold. The lens mounts are made of metal and not plastic. Tell me something that Canon and Nikon have done to out-do the Pentax (Don't compare a 1D or D3 to a K20D, they're on different levels)
Canon and Nikon glass is a LOT more expensive and has the equal quality as the same Pentax lenses. Canon and Nikon are the Apple of the camera industry. They are flashy, shiny, cost a lot, and are branded with a popular name. Down deep, they're not so amazing. I have compared the K100D and Rebel XT multiple times, guess which one was better? Pentax.

examples? all the returns on pentax glass due to bad copies. they don't have consistent production. they have lower level of quality control.
i get very bored with debating pentax vs nikon/canon because it's a stupid debate. they are in different leagues.
to say nikon and canon are more expensive but equal to pentax is just an ignorant statement.
take the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses from both nikon and canon. pentax offers nothing even remotely close to the quality of those lenses.
honestly i could list about 30 lenses from canon/nikon that just aren't available in a pentax varient in either function or quality or both.

I can only say I love my D300. I havent shot with any of the Pentax Dslrs myself so, Im not sure how their upper line performs. I used to shoot Pentax in my film days with my last being the MX, they have always had great lens selections in my opinion. But since they were late to show up in the Dslr market I went with Nikon and, havent looked back.

There is alot of great equipment out there but none of it is going to make you or help you become a pro. If your not born with the eye as they say it could take years to learn it. Everyone else masters Photoshop.
Before I bought my first dslr I went and read all the camera forums, then went and had the guy at the store line up the different brands and models and I held them in my hands, (I have big hands) and the Pentax cameras felt the best in "my" hands. And it didn't feal cheap like the other brands.

I don't know how much you know about photography, but If your asking a forum about buying a camera it can't be too much. Start with some reading, there is alot to learn.
Most Pro's carry more than one brand of camera.

Just some things to think about before spending a small fortune.

Thanks for letting me rant and posting in your forum.

Most reactions

Back