Pentax lenses

I have the Samsung equivalent of the pentax *ist purchased specifically to have fun with my collection of Takumar/Pentax glass. Certainly using these lenses on your camera is a joy BUT I would recommend sticking to the K-mount lenses initially. Your camera has the proper linkage for auto stop down and aperture control with K-mount lenses. The M42 lenses (even with an adapter) will still require you to 1) Open up 2) meter 3) manually stop down 4) then trip the shutter. With practice it becomes fluid but many still end up not liking the whole experience.

If you have the Kmount lenses with the "A" markings on the aperture ring, you can simply set the ring to "A" and let the camera itself control the aperture. The operation is practically the same as the current AF lenses but of course... without AutoFocus. With lenses without the "A" markings on the aperture ring, you can shoot in Aperture priority (using the lens aperture ring) or full Manual.

The advantage of the M42 mount is the sheer availability of lenses from a variety of manufactures (not just takumar/pentax). Just be careful, not all M42 lenses (I have a Sigma one) have a A-M switch to easily stop down the lens. I think all Takumars/Pentax do. The SMC takumars are your best bet.

Of course, it goes without saying, some lenses of this vintage will have problems... fungus, de-lamination, etc.. I shop locally and through ebay for my glass.

Lenses that are good value IMO

* 135mm SMC Takumar
* Super or SMC takumar 50mm f/1.4
* Pentax Kmount 50mm f/1.8 (rubber ring version)
* Pentax 100mm Macro in K-mount
* >>> THS ONE IS GOOD >> Tamron 90mm f/2.5 Macro << You'll need an adaptall for K-mount.

Here's my thread from a while ago (sample with the Tamron 90mm)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-photo-gallery/109445-pentax-ist-ds.html

The Samsong GX-IL + Tamron 90mm + ring light has been my dedicated Macro setup for quite sometime now.

Not complicated at all!

I haven't tried them yet, I might pick up a couple soon though. I already have a macro lens though so I'm in no rush!

You need to try them on your macro then.

BTW, where in NB are you? We are down there most every year & last September met up with a couple nature photogs in Moncton. We also spent some time just outside Campbellton at my wife's brothers cottage.

Not complicated at all!

I haven't tried them yet, I might pick up a couple soon though. I already have a macro lens though so I'm in no rush!

You need to try them on your macro then.

BTW, where in NB are you? We are down there most every year & last September met up with a couple nature photogs in Moncton. We also spent some time just outside Campbellton at my wife's brothers cottage.

I will give then a try, I didn't know if I could use them on my macro, I didn't research it yet.

Oh nice :)
I'm in Fredericton.

how do i know what tube will fit my lens? (sorry for the noob questions btw :/)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
great, thank you for your help. much appreciated

if i were to go with something like this would the autofocus still work?

Understood. Is there a loss of light issue? I'll be using this predominantly outside in sunlight for macro flower and insect shots mainly.

If you do a google search on macro tutorials, there are some really great ones out there and several of the top guys shoot Pentax!

By the way, if you buy old lenses to go with your Pentax, you can use them also on the Canon you have in the signature.

Most reactions

Back