Pentax ME Mirror problem

Brently

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Last night i was using my Pentax ME with a cable release hooked up to the shutter button, and i had it on bulb mode and when i let the cable go the shutter closed but the mirror didnt come back down.

This happened before and i have to take the lens off and click some thing down so the mirror comes down and clicks.

WHy is it doing this? Does it need some cleaning and lubing?

How's your battery? (Stab in the dark)

I seem to remember having a similar problem with my Olympus OM2 many years ago. I used it on B setting but I think there was a conflict with the auto exposure?
The mirror came down as I wound on but flicked up again when fully wound. The OM2 has a reset button though...
Sorry if I'm being vague but I'm trying to remember. It was 25 years ago. It happened twice then never did it again.
It could be the winding mechanism slipping or sticking. If the camera is old the gears do get worn and out of synch.
I wouldn't recommend trying to fix it yourself or forcing the mirror down. Take it to a camera repair shop. It will cost but less than a new camera. You can always claim it on your insurance.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back