• Total voters

Benjamin_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a "war" for me guys!

With US.$1500,

Should I get the CANON EOS 30D kit (with the CANON 18-55mm F/3.5-F/5.6)

or

Should I get the NIKON D80 kit (with the NIKKOR 18-135mm F/3.5-F/5.6G)

or

Should I get the PENTAX K10D digital with the "new" SIGMA 18-50mm F/2.8 EX. DC. MACRO?

The "combo" is going to be a "walk around" solution for me, and also for me to go deeper into photography as well.

What will be your suggestion guys?

I'm sorry, why would you want someone else spend $1500 of your money?

What do you think? How do they feel in your hand? What do you like best/least about them?

You are fortunate in that there have been lots of other posts here asking the same question. Try scrolling down the different pages and reading them to get a sense of what other people have gone through.

mike

Welcome to the forum. As mentioned, this has been asked, to one degree or another, many times. Try the search feature.

In the end, I agree with Mike E, try the camera's out yourself in a camera shop. The one that feels best in your hands is probably the best one for you.

Which ever camera you get, it would probably be beneficial to leave the kit lens and get either the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 F2.8...or something better, if budget allows.

aren't nikons kit lenses a little better than canons? between me and daniel c i think we came to this agreement, but others may disagree.

downside to the d80 for me is that it uses sd cards, but if you upgrade to a pro body you'll be using cf cards (as of now)

pentax with a sigma lens . . . there is a reason the vast majority of working pros use the big names. but really gear is only so important

Welcome dude!

I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that in considering a camera purchase to look closely at the line of lenses that are part of that brand system. The comparison I remember equated the purchase to marrying a line of lenses/lens quality/lens features/availability and cost.

I thought this was good advice and followed it when I decided on joining the Canon family.

Thanks guys! This is my very first time in here, so I am sorry if this has been asked many times!

Thanks!

I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that in considering a camera purchase to look closely at the line of lenses that are part of that brand system. The comparison I remember equated the purchase to marrying a line of lenses/lens quality/lens features/availability and cost.
That is good advice. In this case; Canon, Nikon & Pentax all have a good selection of lenses. The Sony DSLR is compatible with Minolta lenses, of which there is also a good selection. That being said, Canon & Nikon are probably ahead of the pack in this regard.

aren't nikons kit lenses a little better than canons? between me and daniel c i think we came to this agreement, but others may disagree.
I think so too...but which Nikon 'kit' lens are we talking about? There are a few different ones...some better than others. The Canon 18-55 kit lens is usually regarded as pretty bad...which it may be, in comparison, but it's still a pretty good lens for the price of about $100.

Which ever camera you get, it would probably be beneficial to leave the kit lens and get either the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 F2.8...or something better, if budget allows.
Unfortunately when I get the Canon EOS 30D or the Nikon D80, I can only get them with their respective kit lenses since my budget is limited!

Thanks for your suggestion though!

Thanks to the others as well!

Now I am really lost, help!

Get the 30D with the 17-85 with IS lens with 1500 bucks, I think BandH has the package pretty close to that price. That would kick some serious butt.

Oh yeah, I also have the PENTAX K10D + SIGMA 24-70mm F/2.8 EX. DG. MACRO in mind, and also the NIKON D80 + NIKKOR 18-70mm F/3.5-F/4.5G. (Ahh...getting more complicated and confusing!)

Get the 30D with the 17-85 with IS lens with 1500 bucks, I think BandH has the package pretty close to that price. That would kick some serious butt.

Hold on, isn't that out of my budget already!!! :eek:

Nevertheless, that is a nice combo I agree! :)

Its an extra 100 bucks and and well worth it all around!! What a difference over the kit lens!!

the choices you have provided, I'd say the pentax is your best bet simply for the fact that the Sigma lens is the fastest of your choices, and the body matters not so much. Plus with the Pentax you already have IS on that lens, and every other lens for that matter.

And newrmdmike, I'd be willing to be that the reason almost no pro's use pentax is because pentax doesn't have a pro level body, because they were pretty slow and late into the DSLR market. But like you said, gear is only so much and with a nice lens the K10D will still take great picture.

Wheres BenjiKan? :lol:

Its an extra 100 bucks and and well worth it all around!! What a difference over the kit lens!!

Actually, the U.S.$1500 is already the "roof top" of my budget (Including one Sandisk Extreme IV or III 2GB C.F. media)! :crazy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back