Pentax SMC or Super?

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the difference between a Pentax SMC and a Super. Different coatings? And what difference does it make in the real world?

The SMC - Super Multi Coated are newer than the Super-takumars. The coating process was improved... (single versus multi) Takumars are wonderful lenses and fun to collect. A couple links for your reading:

Lenses
Takumar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a certain "look" you get out of the uncoated early screwmounts, the Super takumars, and the SMCs. Sometimes I use the older lenses for that more nostalgic look. Some of the early ones also seem to produce lower contrast images which I like for B&W at times.

Last edited:
Here is snapshot of my son from a Super-Takumar (35mm f/2) attached to a Samsung GX-1L (pentax clone) at 1600 ISO. Some of the SMC lens designs are still very similar to the ones you'll find in current models... super sharp.

Attachments

• $SG1L6503.jpg
    $SG1L6503.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 93
Here is a thread at pentaxforums with nothing but photos shot with Takumars. Most of the posts will tell you what lens was used. Pretty impressive stuff if ya ask me, and a lot of these lenses are more than 40 years old.

Takumar club - PentaxForums.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back