Pentax Spotmatic SP

holland1945

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I recently purchased a Pentax Spotmatic SP with a Vivitar 90/230mm f4.5 zoom lens. I paid $37 for it and was just curious about the thoughts on the price and the camera...I had a friend who had one and she really liked it, but I didn't do any research before I dropped the $37. Was it worth it?

EDIT: I haven't used the camera yet by the way, but cosmetically the condition is fantastic. I have another Pentax so depending on what is said here, I might just sell this one.

The Spotmatic is a classic ... that camera will outlive you.

What is the other Pentax ?

K1000, which I love.

I'm probably just going to re-sell the spotmatic because I'm low on money and probably shouldn't have bought it anyway...But we'll see once I use it I guess.

K1000, which I love.

I'm probably just going to re-sell the spotmatic because I'm low on money and probably shouldn't have bought it anyway...But we'll see once I use it I guess.

My guess... You'll keep it! :lmao:

So, I recently purchased a Pentax Spotmatic SP with a Vivitar 90/230mm f4.5 zoom lens. I paid $37 for it and was just curious about the thoughts on the price and the camera...I didn't do any research before I dropped the $37. Was it worth it?

Heh heh.... I paid over $200 for one more than 5 years ago. I don't know why. It is pristine, and it's the same model as my very first camera.

So, don't have a bit of remorse about the $37.

-Pete

In many ways the SP is a nicer than the K1000 and slightly better built, the problem is that K mount lenses can't be used on the SP and screw mount lenses need an adaptor and only work manually on the K1000.

We have quite a few Pentax's both screw and K mount plus I have a couple of K mount Chinons so I;ve acquired 3 or 4 Tamro SP lenses with both K & M42 Adaptal mounts so I can use the Tamron's on either system. (I Said we as my wife also has an ME and a KX). You can often find Tamron's SP lenses being sold quite cheaply and they are as good as any of the major camera manufacturers own lenses.

$37 sounds reasonable for that combo

Ian

Most reactions

Back