Pentax User looking to upgrade

PhotoXGrrrl85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to upgrade from my Pentax K110d, I currently own 4 lenses and are interchangable between my film Pentax camera and my Digital Pentax, I was looking into the K20D- on bhphoto.com there nothing but good things written about it. but other people are telling me to looking into a different brand, saying that i could get more for my money if im looking to spend about 1k or so. I've never had a problem with Pentax- and the K20D does sound fascinating to me. Anybody have any suggestions/advice?

You wouldn't get a better bang for you buck if you've already got lenses for KMount. Those people who said that are mistaken. The K20 is a great camera and Pentax Glass is some of the best stuff out there. (Though the K20 is not nearly as much of a bang-for-the-buck as the K10 was when it first came out, so that might be where they get that idea)

The only way I'd recommend switching brands is if you feel like you want to go full frame (Like a Canon 5D or Nikon D3 etc). That's what a friend of mine did. He is a very successful photographer in Nova Scotia and he was forced to go full frame to compete in the business(He says). He had made the tens of thousands of dollars with his K10(and later K20) to buy that full frame Nikon plus lenses in cash.(I forget which body it was, now, argh)

That's the truth.

Not to sound stupid or anything, but what do you mean by a full frame? like a whole other brand? i also had a question about avatars, how did you make yours look so nice? Mine looks really bad. I also really appreciate your response by the way.

"Full frame" refers to the size of the sensor used for capturing an image in the camera. It means that the sensor is the same size as one frame in a roll of film. Canon and Nikon are currently the only manufacturers offering a full framed sensor.

I'd recommend sticking with Pentax because you're already familiar with the company and you already have lenses. It only makes sense.

The only way I'd recommend switching brands is if you feel like you want to go full frame (Like a Canon 5D or Nikon D3 etc).

The word around now a days is that Samsung will follow up with a Full frame K-mount DSLR. I would imagine that Pentax is following suit soon after.

http://gizmodo.com/379048/samsung-developing-full+frame-pro-dslr

If you are for the most part happy with the K110D, the camera is not the limiter, and you just want to move to something nicer, I would surmise that time and patience is on your side. Stick with it and see what Samsung and Pentax have in store in the near future. At least wait until Photokina 2008 when a lot of companies make their announcements of new products.

If you are finding the K110D is limiting you, determine what aspects of the camera is the issue and make a call between the K10D and the K20D. As Dubious said, the K10D (right now) has the biggest bang for the buck. The reason is that the K10D and K20D are both being marketed in parallel which keeps the price point of the wonderful K10D low. The K20D will be at that price point when the next camera is added to the Pentax line.

In regards to full frame,

It is my feeling that full frame is a feature that is often blown out of proportion in regards to value. You have to evaluate how it affects the way YOU shoot.. For example, wildlife and sports photographers generally do not see cropped sensors as a limiter but instead they leverage it. Architectural photographers on the other hand will be limited by the lack of a wide angle viewing field.

For more information regarding full frame versus crop, try a search and then post if you still need more information.

Stick with Pentax. The K20D is pretty good.
Also, why are you upgrading? The K110 is modern SLR that beats many more expensive ones. What about it is limiting you?

No sense in changing horses in the middle of the stream, at least not if you're riding a good one.
In my opinion, Pentax will give you most for your money. I own a k10, but I sometimes work with Nikons (mainly D70 and D80), and I feel that the k10 has an edge over the D80, even if the D80 is the more expensive one out of the two. From what I've heard both the k110 and the k20 are excelent for their price. What you need to think about is: why do you think you need a new body?

I've never had a problem with Pentax- and the K20D does sound fascinating to me. Anybody have any suggestions/advice?

The K20D would be a huge upgrade; shake reduction, weather sealing, dust removal, live view, higher resolution, better handling, compatibility with your existing lenses. How can you go wrong?

Was it a dealer who suggested you switch systems? That's the only way this statement makes sense, because then he could sell you a whole new kit and make himself a bag of money.

Most reactions

Back