Pentax ZX-50 question.... Beginner here

jdmartin8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Pentax ZX-50 camera with the 'stock' 28-80mm lense that came with the camera when purchased.

My question is this: I want to take landscape shots, so can I use this lense, but down at 28mm? Does the MX-50 Manual Metered mode allow me to control my own aperture setting AND shutter speed? I've been told to stop the lense all the way down (f16) and with the camera obviously tripod mounted, use the longer shutter speed for 'infinite' DOF.

Remeber, I'm a rank beginner, so be careful, I bruise easy !!

Jim

Your 28-80 lens sounds ideal for landscapes - the wide angle end (28mm) will allow you to pack plenty of foreground into your images, and make the most of converging lines etc to lead the eye into the shot, while longer focal lengths will let you zoom in on details, or crop your image without having to move around too much.

I'm not familiar with the MX-50 or other Pentax cameras, but if its a 'normal' SLR (ie you can change the lens etc) then its highly likely that you will be able to control both the aperture and shutter speed settings.

Most SLRs have a 'Manual' mode where you can set both the Aperture and Shutter speed yourself - this can make setting the correct exposure difficult however. Perhaps more useful are the two other modes known as aperture and shutter priorities. In Aperture Priority, you set the aperture, and the camera will set the correct shutter speed. In Shutter Priority, you set the shutter speed, and the camera will select the right aperture to get a good exposure.

For landscape photography, I would reccomend using the Aperture priority mode, as this allows you to control your depth of field, and as you're using a tripod, shutter speed is not as important.

You're also right in saying you'll mostly want to use a small aperture to get bigger Depth of Field - F16 is ideal, or you can go smaller still - f19 or f22 are common settings.

Hope this helps :D

Thank you for the reply. We are in the midst of a major icestorm right now !! Unlimited photo opportunities outside, and some beautiful ones at that, but I'm not taking my equipment out in the freezing rain !!

Jim

One of my cameras is a pentax zx-60 if you hold down mode and turn the wheel over to the Av selection you can set the f stop to whatever you like. Stick with the 28 mm focal length and keep the aperature small.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back