People as Decoration

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm looking around the house at the photos on the walls and I notice I have trees and mountains and lizards and nature shots all over the place, but other than portraits and snaps of people I know, there are no 'fine art' shots of people (yet).

Do you have framed photos of people you either don't know or are related to in your house? If so, what context/style are they in? Why do you have them? What makes it for you about them?

If you were to want to make a fine art photo for people to display in their home, how would you proceed? What type/style of photo would you envision?

I think because of the relationship that we have with other people most of us don't have pictures of someone we don't know in our house; it's not something I can see myself doing.

I suppose if I were to have something like that however, it would likely be posed in a style remiscent of the a classic painting.

I do not have people on my walls at all, not even reletives.

But I suppose that if I where to hang some people around the house I'd use a rope...J/K, I would have to say I would want something along the lines of what Efergoh is putting out.

I've always liked the type of images that I call 'environmental nudes'. The ones I like will usually have a nude woman posed in such a way as to blend into the landscape. Not an explicit pose, just something that looks natural.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of stuff from Igor Amelkovich. Some of his shots do a great job of fitting the model to the landscape.

What about something like what Spencer Tunick does? All you need is a few hundred nude people to pose for you :lol:

I think because of the relationship that we have with other people most of us don't have pictures of someone we don't know in our house; it's not something I can see myself doing.

I suppose if I were to have something like that however, it would likely be posed in a style remiscent of the a classic painting.

The first thing that came to mind was a Linda Ronstadt poster I used to have. Fine maybe, but not fine art.

I didn't think of classical/period type portraits. Good venue.

I do not have people on my walls at all, not even reletives.

But I suppose that if I where to hang some people around the house I'd use a rope...J/K, I would have to say I would want something along the lines of what Efergoh is putting out.

Actually, a photo of hanging people maybe worth hanging. I have a strong tendency toward the surreal. Psychotic children, blue and yellow babies, freakishly disturbed adults. I'm making a beach trip in a few weeks, maybe some ugly ladies in bikinis? Maybe pushing a new species? Edgy, but not too dark.

I have this as a 44x44 inch print looking at me right now in my office:

Simen Johan, Evidence of Things Unseen,

10.jpg

I have this is as 59x41 inch Cibachrome print in my Dining Room:

Ruud Van Empel, World, 2005

world-7.jpg

...and others that I don't know links for right now...

I've always liked the type of images that I call 'environmental nudes'. The ones I like will usually have a nude woman posed in such a way as to blend into the landscape. Not an explicit pose, just something that looks natural.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of stuff from Igor Amelkovich. Some of his shots do a great job of fitting the model to the landscape.

What about something like what Spencer Tunick does? All you need is a few hundred nude people to pose for you :lol:

I like that. I used to draw nudes. 'Environmental Nudes', seems interesting. Yet another I hadn't thought of. I'll have to look up those names. Thier work sounds cool.

I have this as a 44x44 inch print looking at me right now in my office:

Simen Johan, Evidence of Things Unseen,

I have this is as 59x41 inch Cibachrome print in my Dining Room:

Ruud Van Empel, World, 2005

...and others that I don't know links for right now...

I.F., The first time I saw these links, well, I wouldn't be thinking about this stuff if I didn't see them.

I like Van Empel, but Simen Johan just totally destroys me. These disturbingly haunted, psychotic, Children of the Corn have effected me deeply just by little images on the internet. Having something like that on the wall,... If I can come up with something like that, but like my own-

So far so good.... All the above would justify having a framed shot of someone you didn't know hanging in your house/office.

I wonder about crowd shots?

Yes. Quite a few. One is of a Mixtec woman with a new infant. The doctor had said the baby would live a week. She said she had no pictures so I took some and gave her prints. I love one of the photos and it's on my wall. Postscript: baby didn't die.

I have two photos of Muxe, men raised as women in Juchitan, and one of a transvestite.

I have another of a local gangster who is, well, not handsome. He's holding his one-year old son who is absolutely beautiful. I like the photo as "beauty and the beast" and because it's an example for me of bad people still love.

I have another photo of two teenagers kissing in a secluded corner of a park.

A man carrying a cross in a march for penitents at Easter.

There are others but that gives you an idea. I heard a college professor saying that true artists never, never, never take pictures of people. Thankfully, I'm not an artist.

I.F., The first time I saw these links, well, I wouldn't be thinking about this stuff if I didn't see them.

I like Van Empel, but Simen Johan just totally destroys me. These disturbingly haunted, psychotic, Children of the Corn have effected me deeply just by little images on the internet. Having something like that on the wall,... If I can come up with something like that, but like my own-
I think Simen Johan is the most interesting artist working in this genre right now. I think his stuff is a lot more interesting than what David LaChapelle does. It is important to realize that his work is photographic collage. That means he shoots all the elements, and the combines them using photo editing software.

That Van Empel is wonderful. I still say you haven't seen a color print till you've seen a cibachrome/ilfochrome.

We have mostly nature photos on our walls but we do have some sentimental photos such as 'the first national guard' on a beach somewhere (my hubby is into military history and history in general) and we have a picture of his highschool from about the 40's or something (it was torn down last year) both of these are b/w. But as far as other prints or photos with people that is it. I think people put 'people art' on the walls because it means something to them or creates a feeling within themselves which they want to keep (peace, cerenity, admiration, awe, inspiration, etc.)

Most reactions

Back