People, C&C please

mzcloud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and just started shooting.

Hope you guys can provide some feedback on the picture. Thanks for looking.

Teamwork.jpg

Its a snapshot, and the black and white does nothing for it.

While fokker's reply could have been a bit more helpful, I do agree that the image doesn't seem to have a lot going for it. Technically it's got exposure issues; deep shadows on both sides, as well as motion blur. The mono conversion is rather muddy, and mid-tone rich, lacking any significant true black or white; that aside, I think perhaps it does actually help the image by reducing the visual distraction that a wide colour gamut would have presented. Artisitcally, it would depend on what you wanted to convey, but I don't get much from it.

What did you want from the image?

not too sure what you meant? aren't most shops snapshots?

I assume this is a typo and you meant "shots"? Otherwise I'm confused. On that understanding, one generally doesn't ask for critique on snapshots. They are by definition, an image captured on the spur of the moment, without regard for artistic appeal or technical correctness.

Photographs on the other hand are images where the photographer has considered the composition, lighting and various technical and artistic elements in order to produce the most pleasing image [that he/she is able to] possible.

While fokker's reply could have been a bit more helpful, I do agree that the image doesn't seem to have a lot going for it. Technically it's got exposure issues; deep shadows on both sides, as well as motion blur. The mono conversion is rather muddy, and mid-tone rich, lacking any significant true black or white; that aside, I think perhaps it does actually help the image by reducing the visual distraction that a wide colour gamut would have presented. Artisitcally, it would depend on what you wanted to convey, but I don't get much from it.

What did you want from the image?

Well these were my friends that were working on a project with a tight deadline. I wanted to show that they are working. What does mono mean? I am not too familiar with a lot of the terms you are talking about here.

Thanks

Although the shot lacks artistic and technical value, I do like that the position in which your friends are in makes my eyes move all around the image. However, you were just lucky that they did whatever they were doing when you took the picture. As stated above, the fact that you just saw them studying and took a picture makes it just a snapshot.

Oh and I know this isn't a grammar forum or anything but . . . that comma in your title gives the title a bad impression.

Last edited:
Well these were my friends that were working on a project with a tight deadline. I wanted to show that they are working. What does mono mean? I am not too familiar with a lot of the terms you are talking about here.

Thanks

"mono" = monochrome, or the "technical" term for a black and white image (nb a true black and white image is has only pure black and pure white, no grey). Okay, now that I understand what you want, it makes a little more sense. Take a good look at your image: You have one person leaning back doing nothing, and one whom you can barely see. This doesn't really say, "Tight deadline" to me. I would suggest trying for something where all of the subjects are working hard, tense expressions on their faces, lots of piles of paper on the table and the floor, perhaps a few more empty takeaway containers scattered about...

not too sure what you meant? aren't most shops snapshots?

I assume this is a typo and you meant "shots"? Otherwise I'm confused. On that understanding, one generally doesn't ask for critique on snapshots. They are by definition, an image captured on the spur of the moment, without regard for artistic appeal or technical correctness.

Photographs on the other hand are images where the photographer has considered the composition, lighting and various technical and artistic elements in order to produce the most pleasing image [that he/she is able to] possible.

got it.. Thanks, I usually just do snapshots to capture that moment. Will try to work out some artistic photo later on

Sorry if my reply was a bit blunt before. Yes not everyone is looking to take artistic or technically perfect photos and there is nothing wrong with taking snapshots, we all do it. It's just that you don't usually ask for C&C on a snapshot, because as described by tirediron, a snapshot does not give careful regard to elements which people tend to critique or look for in a true photograph.

also i'd say... a snapshot really only has meaning to the person who took it or the ppl in it... like... when you look at this shot you'll remember that night... etc...

but for an outsider... doesn't hold much meaning... know what i mean?

also i'd say... a snapshot really only has meaning to the person who took it or the ppl in it... like... when you look at this shot you'll remember that night... etc...

but for an outsider... doesn't hold much meaning... know what i mean?

True, I know what you mean. What it means to me is totally different. Thanks for your feedback

Sorry if my reply was a bit blunt before. Yes not everyone is looking to take artistic or technically perfect photos and there is nothing wrong with taking snapshots, we all do it. It's just that you don't usually ask for C&C on a snapshot, because as described by tirediron, a snapshot does not give careful regard to elements which people tend to critique or look for in a true photograph.

Thanks for your comments. This would not be considered as a snapshot right?

L1010425.jpg

To me that is a hard one, it isn't strictly a snaphot as it is nicely framed and posed - it's more of a portrait really, at least that's what I would say.

To me that is a hard one, it isn't strictly a snaphot as it is nicely framed and posed - it's more of a portrait really, at least that's what I would say.

I just checked out your flickr. Quite a few interesting shots. Just wondering if there is a great amount of photoshop involved to produce most of the pictures

Most reactions

Back