People hurt in Tube 'power surge'

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
PlasticSpanner said:
Emergency number just released on TV is 08701566344

Several people have been injured after explosions blamed on a power surge led to the whole London Underground network being closed down until further notice.
British Transport Police said some of the power surges had caused explosions.

Surges took place at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

A spokesman said there were "walking wounded" at Liverpool Street station but one person's life was reported to be "at risk".

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident" and said there were casualties.

A spokesman said officers were called out to Aldgate station at 8.50am to assist City of London and British Transport Police.

"All of the emergency services are on scene. There have been some casualties. This has been declared as a major incident," said the spokesman. "It's too early to state what has happened at this stage," he said.

The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said there had been no problems with its system which could have contributed to the incidents.

'Screaming and crying'

Jacqui Head, from BBC News, who had just left King's Cross station on a Piccadilly Line train as an explosion happened, said: "Everything was normal. Suddenly there was a massive bang, the train jolted.

"There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying."

The train was kept in the tunnel for 20 minutes and no announcement was made to explain the delay to passengers, she added.

London Fire Brigade said four crews were at Liverpool Street and more were on their way.

Another passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC Five Live that he saw injured people.

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated."

Eyewitness Paul Woloszyn from BBC News, who was at Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line, said: "We were told there was a bomb at Liverpool Street station.

London Underground stations affected

"I was on the Tube, and they stopped the train and told everyone to get off and evacuate the station."

He said staff had said the entire Tube network had been affected, and leaflets had been handed out with details of alternative bus routes.

Another eyewitness, Dorothy Molloy, had been on a Tube train at King's Cross and said "staff just chucked everyone out of the station".

She said staff there had not given any details, but she said two passengers she had spoken to had said they had received messages saying there had been bombs.

"People didn't really know what was going on, they were just huffing and puffing and saying how annoying it was," she said.

"People don't seem to be panicked, but there's so many police and ambulances coming into the areas. People are just concerned, and some are just annoyed at the delay."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659093.stm

It's on the radio now ('cos we're close to London). All kinds of strange reports coming out about explosions, buses going up in the air etc. Lots of trains outside of London have been stopped and we're being told not to go into London at the moment. I assume it's because there is no way of getting out of there right now. All seems rather odd to me.

I just saw this on the news. Adrian gave me a call saying to turn the tv on coz it's all over the cable news... unfortunately the free to air news had nothing on it.

Looks pretty bad with the bus bombs and the tube bombs and all. I hope that all of our London TPF'ers are alright.

(Once I know they're all alright I'll start making crappy jokes about how they were a day late at dissuading the olympic bid ;-) )

oh gosh... a few friends of mine are ther :/ I cannot contact them, dunno what's going on with my friends... I hope everything is ok with you, guys here, and with your families too

I'm so sorry to hear that Mentos. You probably won't be able to contact them for quite a while. They're saying on the news that the phone lines all around London are completely overloaded and aren't working anymore.
I hope they're alright.

Yeah it's been confirmed as terrorism. The bus near russel square was the giveaway. I've managed to contact all of my friends except one so hopefully everyone I know is OK. We can only hope that there are going to be minimal casualties and my prayers go out to all those involved.

I was quite lucky, I ended up working late on a photography assignment last night in central london and as a result didn't have to go back again early this morning.

That's awful. Terrorism is such a scary thing to have happen.

tighten up on what? impossible to deter all this kind of activity.

sorry to hear about that london....wishing lots of peace and compassion.

It's horrible, just horrible. I watched the news this morning and I couldn't help but cry. We've got so many friends here from London and I am worried about everyone.

My heart is with you guys. What is wrong with those bastards in the middle east?????

There are rumours of it being about G8 (erm, they missed their target I think...) or that it happened because lots of security has moved from London to Scotland to cover G8. All speculation. They've said that they had no idea this was going to happen either. That's the bit which gets me I think. But, if people want to blow things up, they'll do it without too many problems. You can't police everyone and everything.

That's awful. Terrorism is such a scary thing to have happen.
This may sound odd but, I'm not shocked or scared. People who don't live here forget that we lived with terrorism for years. When I was little I remember going to bed scared that the IRA were going to blow me up.
I've yet to see a single person in hysterics on TV as well (granted, I've not seen much). Most people seem to be going "yup, was gonna happen one day..."
It'd probably be different if it happened down the road from me or if I knew anyone who was caught in it though. And I hope that no-one here has any direct dealings with what went on.

treehuggerhikerboy said:
tighten up on what? impossible to deter all this kind of activity.

sorry to hear about that london....wishing lots of peace and compassion.

Mostly controlled transport i.e rail, subways, airports ect. I can understand the busses being vulnerable but not the Subway!

I have a friend in Manchester Police and I know the security there is still quite tight especially trains & stuff & the airport!

Like Ferny said we've been living with terrorism so long it started to kinda get "normal" The relative peace over the last few years has been amazing!

we in the U.S. definitely understand your concern and feel your pain in these instances...hope all is well with your families and friends!

Hope you guys are all okay. Mentos - do a search to see if there is a way of registering your friends details. In australia they have opened up a website. I think its bhc.britaus.com. They have also released two numbers. But obviously that is for aussies - so it probably wont be any help to you. But maybe you guys have something similar set up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back