People in black and white

011_Johnny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there !
From the last time i posted people photos i manage to get some new ones ...
hope you like it ...

D3100 , D7100... + 50mm 1.8G

Portret - Anja 7.JPG Portret - Jelena Z 2.JPG Portret - Jelena N 9.JPG
Portret - Goran 2.JPG Portret - Nemanja 1.JPG Portret - Miljana 6 RAW.JPG Portret - Jovana 1.JPG

Some nice captures; I especially like the 'man in the mirror' and the last one of the young lady, but the conversions seem a little lacklustre to me; very mid-tone rich and overall rather flat.

Some nice captures; I especially like the 'man in the mirror' and the last one of the young lady, but the conversions seem a little lacklustre to me; very mid-tone rich and overall rather flat.

What should I do to be better at conversions ?

Practice more! Are you working on a calibrated/corrected monitor?

The best conversions will almost always come from the best exposures. Look at the overall scene and find something that should be black. Is it? If not, adjust appropriately. Find something that should be white. Is it? If not...

What should I do to be better at conversions ?
If you can, find some B&W photos, like in a museum, then closely examine them for IQ and inspiration/motivation/guidance for your own images.

Practice more! Are you working on a calibrated/corrected monitor?

The best conversions will almost always come from the best exposures. Look at the overall scene and find something that should be black. Is it? If not, adjust appropriately. Find something that should be white. Is it? If not...
This ^^^^

Once you've done this, the midtones enhance and separate.

I LIKE your man in the mirror shot too! A number of these ought to be "talls"...all of that dead, empty space, not showing us the subject's body or clothes...so not optimal. If the subject is wider than it is tall, then go wide...but if the SUBJECT is taller than it is wide, then go TALL...this is a basic compositional device that has worked for 500-plus years. The goal is to have the subject and the camera's frame orientation in agreement.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiments here. My suggestion would be to start thinking B&W as you shoot. Is the contrast there that will contribute to a good B&W? Does the subject lend itself to B&W? Remember, you are reducing 16,000,000 colors to 256 shades of gray. Pay attention to the darks and lights to imagine how much you will lose in the conversion process. At that kind of a color loss, there will be more extreme darks and lights...

I know nothing about conversions, but I do know the last photo is great. I also like the man in the mirror.

Personally,I do not like high contrast portraits. Human skin has subtle gradations and they should be represented in the portrait. I rather like 5, 6 and 7 as they are (I do not like 1, 2, 3, and 4 much at all).

Most reactions

Back