People in the City

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always wanted to try some street photography. I love the results i have seen around here.
Anywho, now that im actually near a big city i gave it a go the other day (well like 2 months ago) I just scanned in about 300 negs and im working my way through them

Its way hard to get over my fear of carrying around a big long tele lens and pointing at peoples faces. I only have a 200mm so i still feel like i have to be reasonably close to get good shots

All of this is on HP5

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

6-3.jpg

i cant figure out a crop for this one, i want the guy more to the right but if i crop, then i loose the flat line on the top. I also cant decide if i like the beam of light comming out of his head...i dont know where that came from
7-2.jpg

as always C&C please :)

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
wow... I do love street photography! It always fascinated me... people surrounding us and not knowing that you photograph them are the best subjects to photograh for me. they are so spontaneus! A wonderful bokeh you have in the first one!

cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Your compositional skills here are very good, I do see some quality issues with your scans and they seem to lack some contrast, not enough mid-tones. You also did very well subject wise. I think color versions would have been as eqaully good.
Cosmo

LongDucDong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The last one is my fave, but all are pretty decent. Im glad you shot them in B&W, they wouldnt look 1/2 as interesting in color. Nice shots!

OP
fightheheathens

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
unfortunatly i am a slave to the cheap walgreen scan.
Im pretty sure thier scanner is not optamized for B&W.
unfortunatly its 20 bucks at walgreens to scan 300 images
and 20 bucks to get 36 scanned professionaly....

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well done. Street is so much fun.

On the last image, #6. The white mark above the head I bet is a crimp in the negative. Looks like someone grabbed the negative and gave it a pinch, that is the kind of mark it would leave. I would check and see if the negative is damaged.

Eric

mad_malteaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Great shots! I haven't been brave enough to try this myself yet but I love seeing other people's efforts. My favourite has to be #3, the expression on that guys face is priceless.

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I like #2 the best. I like the sense of motion. I can actually "feel" him playing that guitar.

Good show.

#6 - I second the crimped neg thoughts. must be 35mm, 'cause that is a huge mark on the neg.

Most reactions