People Photography - A question about boobz

As I stated earlier, I am very new, and am looking for TFP to build my portfolio. I make both of these things perfectly clear when reaching out to models.

Make it clear you're building a portfolio in glamour/boudoir so you get models that want to do that. You need to figure out if a pre shoot meeting is going to be part of your procedure, and if it is make that clear (and that might eliminate some prospective models right there).
They'll be turned off if I want a pre shoot meeting, or if I don't? If the former, why? If the latter, I'm fine with doing one, but I repeat my question from earlier:

What if she doesn't want to meet before the shoot, but instead just wants to go ahead with it? My instinct in that scenario, so far, as been to not ask her to go to any more trouble than she wants to. Should I push for a pre-shoot meeting in all cases?

Last edited:
Can I get some other opinions on whether "boobs" is inherently unprofessional, and "breasts" is a better term?
Since this question has been glossed over:

Yes, it's inherently unprofessional.

You say (as have others) that this conversation needs to occur pre-shoot, and I agree. Here, you further specified that it should occur before she makes any kind of commitment, so as to not appear to be pulling a bait-and-switch; this also makes sense to me. Here's the thing about that though: Of the five incidents I mentioned, in two of them, the conversation about bras and/or cleavage occurred during the same in-person, pre-shoot meeting where we later talked about dates.
I don't think you should be meeting with these girls until after they have agreed to the sort of shoot you want them to pose for and how revealing you want it to be. After they've told you that they're ok with these things, then you should meet them (in a public place like a coffee shop) to see if you get along, and then set a shoot date. Be up front about how you want their "boobz" to look from the very beginning, before anyone agrees to meet with you. Also maybe try to avoid saying "boobz".

i would strictly refer to them as cutaneous glandular structures. anything else is strictly non medical, and therefor probably offensive.
alternatively, you could also refer to them as hemispheric projections anterior to the pectoral muscles, but thats a bit of a mouthful.

To what extent, if at all, and in what manner, is it appropriate to ask a model how much cleavage she's willing to show? Specifically, a model who is not either one who you've already worked with at least once before - and thus someone who you already sort of "know" and have some amount of repertoire with - or who is giving you a distinct vibe of being "up for anything."

On the one hand, I do grasp the concept that boobs and bras are a somewhat sensitive and somewhat taboo subject. But at the same time, I feel like it's only fair to want to get on the same page with a model as to the "vision" of a set or concept, including cleavage or the lack thereof - and I'm frankly having trouble resolving these two perspectives in my mind.

To clarify, I'm not really talking about how low of a neckline a model is willing to wear; I'm under the impression (and my experience so far seems to confirm) that you can just show a model a garment with a low neckline, ask "do you like this?", and if they don't like low necklines period they'd just say "no" and there's nothing wrong with that. What I'm talking about, is when they've said that they like such a garment (or selected it themselves, from their own stuff or from a group of items I've shown them), but I don't know HOW they plan to wear it; in as much as there's quite a difference in the effect created between wearing a low neckline with a pushup bra, a "normal" bra, or NO bra.

For example, between the questions "How much cleavage are you comfortable with showing?" and "Would you want to wear a pushup bra with this outfit [that you've already said you like]?", is one of those a more acceptable thing to ask than the other? I don't really know.

Thanks all for the input.

Advertise for models willing to pose nude. Any who show up will be willing to show a bit of bra, cleavage, boob, and anything else you may want....if you behave as a professional artist, rather than as a drooling idiot adolescent.

Most reactions

Back