People shots, and request for needed suggestions

ReginaUsh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not terribly confident when it comes to taking pictures of people. With the holidays coming up I would really like to get some decent shots of family. The ones I got below are probably the bests ones I have gotten over a ten year time span, and that is after taking a thousand or more photos. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The first one was a lady walking at Daytona Beach. The second is my husband and son. The third is my son watching alligators. Fourth one is my husband, and his personality (I love it). Next my grandson and his mischievous facial expression. Fifth one is my son and my grandson. The last one is my son seeing the ocean for the very first time.
IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_4395[1].jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

44.jpg

43.jpg

38.jpg

IMG_4532 copy.jpg

Sure, just ask the easy questions...

;)

This really is a HUGE topic, but let's just talk basics. Decent exposure, focus, and faces. Using #2 as an example, you've got decent exposure, and their faces are visible, but the focus seems a bit soft, and they're not looking at the camera. So... check your aperture, and at least until you're more comfortable with this sort of work, take the easy way out, around f8 or so, whenever possible. Next make sure that the focus is where it needs to be (usually an eye) and that they're looking toward you, ("Hey you dummies, OVER HERE!!!!") and then try and get them to sit up straight-ish, and you're pretty much done. Once you get the basics down pat, you will find that your confidence will grow quickly.

Generally you need to understand a bit more about composition.
There are too many and too different to c/c all of them.
For best results, post one at a time.
General
Having the subject directly in the center is oftentimes not good - except for relatively close-up portraits or head/torso shots.
The one of your husband you love because it shows his personality. I don't know him and I see a guy hiding behind a bush - and that means nothing to me.
The subjects aren't well placed in the frame and there is lots of space at places that it actually hurts the image.​
Let's deal with the first one.
It's underexposed and low in contrast
It is shot at f16, which is probably not the sweet spot for that lens.
The speed is really too slow for that long a focal length and probably contributes to its unsharpness. (read about relationship of minimum shutter speed to aperture)
You could shoot much faster and open the lens a couple of stops for a better result.
She is in the center and that is usually not the best most pleasing center.
And the sensor is covered with dust bunnies (which the f 16 tends to show)

IMG_2881llll.jpg

dust bunies.jpg

Sure, just ask the easy questions...

;)

This really is a HUGE topic, but let's just talk basics. Decent exposure, focus, and faces. Using #2 as an example, you've got decent exposure, and their faces are visible, but the focus seems a bit soft, and they're not looking at the camera. So... check your aperture, and at least until you're more comfortable with this sort of work, take the easy way out, around f8 or so, whenever possible. Next make sure that the focus is where it needs to be (usually an eye) and that they're looking toward you, ("Hey you dummies, OVER HERE!!!!") and then try and get them to sit up straight-ish, and you're pretty much done. Once you get the basics down pat, you will find that your confidence will grow quickly.

Hee, yes I guess faces would be important! I am going to have to read up on aperture not real clear how to use it effectively. Course that is true with most of my knowledge in regards to photography. I am attempting to change that.
I like how you approach this in simple steps for it does make it less intimidating. When I take pictures of people (family mostly) many times they don't want to have their picture taken which makes it difficult to practice. This is why holidays are a plus for me. Lots of people, most not interested in what I am doing with my camera as their attention is redirected. However me stating "Look over here," changes that. My family is not picture happy to state that least. Thanks for your feedback

Generally you need to understand a bit more about composition.
There are too many and too different to c/c all of them.
For best results, post one at a time.
General
Having the subject directly in the center is oftentimes not good - except for relatively close-up portraits or head/torso shots.
The one of your husband you love because it shows his personality. I don't know him and I see a guy hiding behind a bush - and that means nothing to me.
The subjects aren't well placed in the frame and there is lots of space at places that it actually hurts the image.​
Let's deal with the first one.
It's underexposed and low in contrast
It is shot at f16, which is probably not the sweet spot for that lens.
The speed is really too slow for that long a focal length and probably contributes to its unsharpness. (read about relationship of minimum shutter speed to aperture)
You could shoot much faster and open the lens a couple of stops for a better result.
She is in the center and that is usually not the best most pleasing center.
And the sensor is covered with dust bunnies (which the f 16 tends to show)

View attachment 91062

View attachment 91063
Yes there was dust bunnies... More like sand bunnies. I wound up having to take it and get it cleaned. Which was free but I was cameraless for about three weeks. First, thank you so much for your input.
Having the subject centered, aside from portraits isn't a good idea... This I am guessing is composition? Again composition when it comes to the comment you made about my husbands photo I took. Very good points. For family photo albums my picture works but not so much when it comes to the art of photography... I get it, I believe.
Your reading suggestion I intend to employ... I just asked on another thread suggestions on good photography reading sources. Any thoughts you have that you can pass on with that subject would be much appreciated as well.
Pretty much everything about photography (aside from focus, and press the button, and a little photoshop) is pretty new stuff to me.
With my photo of the lady on the beach and the arrows added that is repositioning her yes? Which you did with cropping. I see the difference and how it is more pleasing, thanks for the visual correction. You also brightened her dress. How was that done?

There are a number of web sites and books that will give you information on composition and exposure basics. There are a few free online courses available (one in my siggy) that can get you started. Finally, there are many people here, like John and Lew who are a wonderful resource.

The arrows are pointing out the dust (sand) bunnies. :) If the photo was a keeper (for example, if you'd whistled and she turned to look with a bright smile or an interesting expression it might be a keeper) it would be quite a simple task to clone them out. As it is it might be worth doing it for the experience. The composition in this one isn't bad, you have more room on the right, the direction she's headed and she's at about 1/3. Google The Rule of Thirds.

Generally, all the photos without faces are uninteresting to anyone other than family. The one with the two boys and the tortoise is a little bit interesting but is still family album only; as is the boy with the goggles. Hubby behind the bush is the same, I get that he was using the bush as a moustache.

The boy in the reeds has the most potential but even so, he's centered (better if there is more space in the direction he's facing) and though the pose is OK he just looks bored!

Homework. You've had several suggestions, read up on them. When you've done that go out with your camera and a not too reluctant model and take 100 photos applying what you've learned, that shouldn't take more than an hour at most. Then come back to your computer and select ONE of them to post back on here for comments and criticism. Throw the rest in the digital bin.

Remember that this is the digital age, you don't have to pay for film or developing. :) The difference between a great expression on someone's face and a blah expression can be a nano second.

You may find that when you start to produce photos that make them look really good consistently your family may be a lot less reluctant to model for you. ;)

Criticism here can seem harsh but if you can take it on the chin and learn from it your photos will improve. I've learned more here in the last 3 years than I've learned on all the courses and workshops that I paid for. :D

The arrows are pointing out the dust (sand) bunnies. :) If the photo was a keeper (for example, if you'd whistled and she turned to look with a bright smile or an interesting expression it might be a keeper) it would be quite a simple task to clone them out. As it is it might be worth doing it for the experience. The composition in this one isn't bad, you have more room on the right, the direction she's headed and she's at about 1/3. Google The Rule of Thirds.

Generally, all the photos without faces are uninteresting to anyone other than family. The one with the two boys and the tortoise is a little bit interesting but is still family album only; as is the boy with the goggles. Hubby behind the bush is the same, I get that he was using the bush as a moustache.

The boy in the reeds has the most potential but even so, he's centered (better if there is more space in the direction he's facing) and though the pose is OK he just looks bored!

Homework. You've had several suggestions, read up on them. When you've done that go out with your camera and a not too reluctant model and take 100 photos applying what you've learned, that shouldn't take more than an hour at most. Then come back to your computer and select ONE of them to post back on here for comments and criticism. Throw the rest in the digital bin.

Remember that this is the digital age, you don't have to pay for film or developing. :) The difference between a great expression on someone's face and a blah expression can be a nano second.

You may find that when you start to produce photos that make them look really good consistently your family may be a lot less reluctant to model for you. ;)

Criticism here can seem harsh but if you can take it on the chin and learn from it your photos will improve. I've learned more here in the last 3 years than I've learned on all the courses and workshops that I paid for. :D

Thank you for the homework, I can do that... Will have to be over the weekend. No worries about the criticism. I live in the home of a Marine and a Navy man. Besides my mother is so mean she could likely chew up a piece of led and spit out bullets. Makes for some pretty thick skin-

No hurry! You've got a family to take care of. There will always be someone around here who'll do the marking ;). Thick skins are good, you'll do fine here and learn lots if you've got a thick skin. :D

1, 3, 5, 7 are great ideas and that means to me you have a good eye for photography.
Just:
- take care of the focus, especially on eyes. Eyes must ALWAYS be on focus, except when the person is not important (i.e.: taking a pic of a cooking person, focusing on the food).
- get closer and closer and closer to the subject.

I am still here... Christmas just kind of snuck up on me and slapped me in the back of my head. I have been reading up a bit on aperture and shutter priority modes, I haven't really had a chance to apply it like I want to yet. I will be back - If this blasted holiday doesn't do me in first.

I am still here... Christmas just kind of snuck up on me and slapped me in the back of my head. I have been reading up a bit on aperture and shutter priority modes, I haven't really had a chance to apply it like I want to yet. I will be back - If this blasted holiday doesn't do me in first.

I think Christmas grabs us all by the short and curlys. Don't add any more stress than you already have (I need to remember that, too!).

Shutter priority and aperture priority are very useful - but also let the idea of full manual percolate around ... just so that when the time comes you won't go into terminal photophalactic shock syndrome. ;)

130k.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg
TPSS, careful with that term we could have another over diagnosed syndrome on our hands.
Right so I did try full manual a bit, but only got a few decent shots that way (practice makes perfect). Most I took were on AV, all and all though my family pictures turned out better then normal just by paying more attention to framing and having the subject actually look at the camera- (go figure) as well as also moving in closer. The one I liked the best does suggest to me that I still have a lot more practice on people and camera settings before I will be satisfied with the finished product but here it is just the same. I am adding another of my Grandson that I liked but it is a big face picture. I imagine someone might advice me to attempt not to lobotomize my photographic subjects. All in good time.

Nice to see you still working on this! The first image is good from a technical point of view, but the cluttered background rather takes away from it. The second however seems soft to me; did you miss focus or use a too-shallow DoF?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back