People using an AE1?

wil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an AE1 with a power winder A. All batteries are "new". The thing I'm having trouble with is the advanceing of the film. When you turn the power winder on and press the shutter release it fires but then stops, after pushing the button next to the film winder ( left side of camera the button has a circle with a line though it) it resumse but you have to push the button again after a few frames. dose any one know why this happens ( it happens w/o the pwer winder also)

I have an AE-1 program and when you referenced the button on the left side you had me confused for a minute until I pulled the camera out and looked at it.

The circle with a line through it, as I understand it, is a reference mark to show you where the film plane is inside the camera and is used in macro photography so you know exactly how far the distance is from the subject to the film. (Dont quote me on that, but I believe it to be correct). The buttons on the left side are a small silver button that is used to change the ISO setting of the film (press it then move the small black tab until you have the correct setting) and toward the front of the camera is a small black button that is held down to determine battery strength by seeing how rapid the beeps are.

I can not see how either of these buttons would effect winding of the film but perhaps someone that knows more about the mechanics of the AE-1 could help out here.

Since I have an AE-1 and a power winder A2 I am interested in watching this thread to see what comes of it in case I ever run into an issue like this.

How does the camera react without power winder, does it seem to stick went you wind it by hand. Also did you change the camera battery? There is a battery test button on top left. It's the black button between the serial number and film plane mark on the left. If the battery in good it should make a steady beeping sound.

I changed the both the batteries in the power winder and the camera battery. The battery test button makes no sound but the red light in the internal lite meter flashes very fast. I tried it with the power winder on and off same thing. I also checked the contact points and cleaned them all. Still nothing. When I press the shutter button the meter works so I know its getting power but the shutter won't fire or advance, Almost like a dead camera battery. I will welcome any and all suggestions, I'm totally lost on this one.

when I press the black battery test button the internal light meter goes off and the camera beeps. Also you mention the light meter flashing. I saw this for example just now when I pressed the shutter enough to engage it with the lens cap on. The reading was 1 flashing very quickly.

I am leaning toward camera battery myself. Maybe your local shop has one that you can try in it to see how it behaves?

What is the history on this camera? Has it worked properly in the past?

edit: just noticed that you have changed it and it made no difference.. :(

I used it yesterday, and it worked fine.

When did this problem start?
Did any think happen to the camera and winder around tha time?

You say this problem also occurs with the winder off.
Then it seems to me more likely to be the camera.

Good luck
[font=&quot] [/font]

Nothing happened to it. It just started to act up.

Wil, I don't know how handy you are with fine tools and how much patience you have but there is something that I do to SLRs like this which usually makes them come back to life.

You need the following:

-set of very fine jewelers screwdrivers
-jewelers magnifying glasses (in case your eyes aren't what they used to be, like mine)
-white bath towel, to put on the table (that way any little screw that comes loose won't bounce on the hard surface and get lost)
-a bottle of Naphta (or Ronsonol, old style lighter fluid)
-a can of compressed air (if you don't have strong lungs)

Now, with much patience, take the screws off the bottom plate and remove them, setting them aside in the same order you took them off. Remove the plate. You will see on one side a small magnet (electromagnet) in the shape of letter "u" and with a lot of very fine copper wires surrounding it. The lever that is on the side of the opening (of that letter "u") needs to be cleaned. Canon oil gets sticky rather fast ( a few good 5-10 years) and freezes the camera. Now, put a few (the emphasize of the word few is mine) drops of Ronsonol or Naphta and blow some air into it. That's it! It should work like a charm. Put back the bottom plate and the screws and you're back in business.

Should you want someone to repair it, I know a great tech which worked on my AE1 and A1, with great results. Just PM me and I'll give you his address (in the US).

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to get it repaired? Thanks for the offer, the address would be great. dose he have an e-mail and web site?

wil said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to get it repaired? Thanks for the offer, the address would be great. dose he have an e-mail and web site?

No prob. He fixed the squeak on both my Canons (mirror squeak) by internally lubricating the mirror assembly and I paid something like $40.00 for each, and that included postage.

You could fire an e-mail to him, mention my name (Dimitri) and he'll help you.

Here's his address (no website though):

[email protected]

Let me know what he says.

OK, I took it The local camara shop and he took off the bottom plate. Every thing looked good. He figured it was in the top plate, most likely the shutter release button. I guess I will have to send it out.

wil said:
OK, I took it The local camara shop and he took off the bottom plate. Every thing looked good. He figured it was in the top plate, most likely the shutter release button. I guess I will have to send it out.

OK wil, before you send it away, do the following:

(BTW, it's not going to hurt anything inside)

-take some Ronsonol (or Naphta) and put two to three drops into the shutter release button. One drop into the flex shutter release hole and the rest around it;

-work the button 10-15 times (press it) to see if it operates correctly.

For your piece of mind, you might want to take the lens off, although Naphta evaporates quickly. If this does not solve your problem, then go ahead, send it away. But it just might! ;)

Good luck.

thanks for the advice I'll give it a shot.

Most reactions

Back