People with D800's or knowledge.

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a d800 on preorder, should be another 3 weeks before i get it with a 5% chance of me getting it earlier but i was assured that 4 weeks would be the limit so i have another 3 to go.

1. I want to purchase a few accessories for it, mainly just the wired remote. I am not gonna go for a intervelometer as they are $100-$150. Does the d800 has the same pin set as the d700? d7000, or a totally new jack for accessories. I still have my intervelometer for the d7000 lying around, i didn't sell it off with the camera, is it the same plug, can i use it with d800? or should i just give it away to a friend with a d7000.

2. I already have an extra battery, again i bought a spare with the d7000. How much lower is real everyday shooting battery life than against the d7000?

3. CF cards, i have tons of SD cards so Space isn't a big issue really, but i would like to get the full benefit of the CF card slot as well if i ever need it. I read online that the maximum write speed is close to 60mbs and while having a 90mbs card can help as the speeds fluctuate and it will stay closer to the 60mbs max write it doesn't offer a great benefit. Is this true? for close to $100 i can get 1x 16gb 90mbs card or 2x16gb 60mbs cards. Obviously the latter is a better deal IF the write speed is slow. If it can fully utilize the speed than i have no problem throwing two of the 16gb 90mbs cards and maybe investing in a portable storage device.

other than that i think i have everything i need, and now i just wait...

1 - same 10pin as the d700, I used the same GPS device on the D700 and D800
2 - approx 1100 shots on a single charge on the battery
3 - I'm using 60mb write cards with no issues, Lexar 600x and Sandisk Extreme CF.

If you're looking for a portable storage device, I'd recommend the Hyperdrive: HyperDrive I used this for a 3 week trip across China in 2010 and it worked extremely well. I'll add, do not have this as a single point of storage, as I had 2 additional HD's in addition to insure I had some type of replication.

1 - same 10pin as the d700, I used the same GPS device on the D700 and D800
2 - approx 1100 shots on a single charge on the battery
3 - I'm using 60mb write cards with no issues, Lexar 600x and Sandisk Extreme CF.

If you're looking for a portable storage device, I'd recommend the Hyperdrive: HyperDrive I used this for a 3 week trip across China in 2010 and it worked extremely well. I'll add, do not have this as a single point of storage, as I had 2 additional HD's in addition to insure I had some type of replication.

yea i have been thinking of backup solutions as well. I think a 1-2tb desktop external drive along with a SSD upgrade for my laptop and external storage would be a worthwhile investment.

For a backup solution for your home/office, I'd recommend a drobo or a RAID device, and an external portable drive(this one you take with you or place it in a safety deposit box).

For a backup solution for your home/office, I'd recommend a drobo or a RAID device, and an external portable drive(this one you take with you or place it in a safety deposit box).

yea the drobo looks really awesome. But it is a little high for my budget. I am thinking of turning an older computer into a dedicated server however.

It's funny I had similar questions to you, preordered my D800 from amazon. Found one at another shop and got it in stock (lucky me!) already shipped but won't have access to it until tomorrow.

My brother has a drobo, but I didn't have that kind of cash, but I do have an old Dell Poweredge server with 3x 500GB drives in it, so I got it up and running with linux and am using some services to "advertise" the drives so both of my macbooks pick it up over my network. My lightroom library is backed up twice on that and then I just got a 500GB external as a gift from a friend with USB 3.0 so that's my new main library... sadly neither of my computers has a 3.0 speed port but it's not noticeably slower than using my internal drive so that's cool, saves me a ton of space too (until I need more than 500GB lol). Sure is nice being able to use either laptop too, before this I had one laptop for photos and my other was for music production... now with lightroom on an external I can view and edit files on both.

To answer #3, check some of the specs on those cards carefully.. despite saying "minimum write speed" and stuff like that, they NEVER perform to that level. Also CF Cards in general write faster than SD even if rated at the same speeds. The 400x SDHC cards (just got one of those too) write about 30 mb/s (even though it says 60 on the packaging) and the 600x ones write about 38 mb/s (advertised at 95 mb/s) in camera. My old Lexar 300x CF card will probably write faster than my new Lexar 400x SD card.

Look here: Rob Galbraith DPI: Nikon D800/D800E
Those are the actual write speeds of those cards in the camera itself. They will of course read faster than they write.

Most reactions

Back