Pepper Drop

So how did you 'time' the drop and shoot? Just estimated it hit or miss? I don't see the fishing line so that worked out excellent too!
Yes, I estimated it; Drop - shoot - review - adjust timing.Drop - shoot - review - adjust timing.Drop - shoot - review - adjust timing.etc., etc., etc... The fishing line was only attached to dangle it in the empty tank while I set up the lighting. It wasn't attached during the actual shooting.
Bryan Peterson does a very similar shot with a strawberry into a glass of sparkling water. In his setup, he's got a cable release for the camera and he is dropping the strawberry into the glass himself. Did you have somebody dropping the pepper for you?
No, same as Peterson, I dropped it myself while triggering with a remote.

That is like...SO COOL. Kudos to you. I love all three. I think the second is actually my favorite! very very cool. You could even get me to eat red pepper by looking at the picture :p

Those are great shots. Thanks for explaining everything, it's interesting.

I really like the results and really appreciate the info and diagrams to show how you set this all up. Thanks for sharing!

Next I dangled the pepper off a fishing line into the aquarium that still had no water in it, and arranged two 580EXII flashes into reflector umbrellas, and came up with -2 on both for even lighting, then applied a 2:1 ratio to get some depth.

What do each of these mean? (i) Even lighting? (ii) 2:1 ratio to get depth?

Thanks.

Very nice shots! And a wonderful explanation of setup! I remember some of the old Kodak books... wish I still had mine! There were a few shots in them that I remember, and intend to try one of these days! :)

Next I dangled the pepper off a fishing line into the aquarium that still had no water in it, and arranged two 580EXII flashes into reflector umbrellas, and came up with -2 on both for even lighting, then applied a 2:1 ratio to get some depth.

What do each of these mean? (i) Even lighting?
When setting up the shot, I wanted to start out with the same levels and quality of light from both sides of the pepper - "even" lighting. That's basically to set up an "anchor" for a properly exposed shot by finding the correct diffused value and "locking it down".

(ii) 2:1 ratio to get depth?
Once I had my "anchor", I was able to adjust the lighting so that one side is less bright than the other while still maintaining the proper diffused value on the brightest side by not increasing it, but rather by decreasing the other side. This lighting difference ratio allows the shape, contours and texture of the pepper to be more readily, yet subtly, discerned, and gives the subject more "depth". Common lighting ratios are 2 to 1, expressed 2:1, where the light on one side is at half the power as the light on the other side, 3:1 where it's a third, and even 4:1 where it's a quarter power for very dramatic effects.

No problem. Always glad to help if I can. :thumbup::D

Common lighting ratios are 2 to 1, expressed 2:1, where the light on one side is at half the power as the light on the other side, 3:1 where it's a third, and even 4:1 where it's a quarter power for very dramatic effects.

Is this true with portraits as well as these types of shots? I think the answer is yes. What's a typical ratio for hair lighting where the 3rd light is behind the model? 1:1 for key light; 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 for fill and perhaps 1:6 for hair lights?

I just got 2 more umbrellas and 2 YN 560s which gives me a total of 3 speedlights and 3 umbrellas and I'm hoping to try some portraits of my wife and daughters this weekend.

Again, thanks so much. You are a real talent!

Common lighting ratios are 2 to 1, expressed 2:1, where the light on one side is at half the power as the light on the other side, 3:1 where it's a third, and even 4:1 where it's a quarter power for very dramatic effects.

Is this true with portraits as well as these types of shots? I think the answer is yes.
Yes, that's correct.

What's a typical ratio for hair lighting where the 3rd light is behind the model? 1:1 for key light; 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 for fill and perhaps 1:6 for hair lights?
I don't know that there really is a "typical" - it would depend on what you're trying to achieve with the hair light. In some cases, you just want a very light and subtle 'kiss' of light, so 1:6 might be appropriate. In others, you may want a very pronounced, bold and distinct rim light, and 1:1 is more in line with that. You'll just have to play it by ear until you get what works for you in particular situations, I think. But it'll be a fun learning experience anyway, so it's all good! :thumbup::D

I just got 2 more umbrellas and 2 YN 560s which gives me a total of 3 speedlights and 3 umbrellas and I'm hoping to try some portraits of my wife and daughters this weekend.
Have fun with it!

Again, thanks so much. You are a real talent!
Thank you kindly for the warm words. Much appreciated.

Awesome post Buckster, thanks for sharing.

It just goes to show what you can do with time, ingenuity and know-how.

Nice lighting, nice color

Nothing of value to add, just wanted to say I appreciate the description(learning alot from it) and am stunned at your setup/perseverance on getting the shot! Amazing!:thumbup:

Awesome shots. Very sharp and nice colors. I tried this a couple years ago with my 350D and the 18-55mm kit lens. I picked a strawberry from my garden and put the aquarium outside and i used the sun for light (no other light source used). I put a blue background right up next to the aquarium and dropped the strawberry and took a shot. I knew this would be a hit or miss so i took about 50 shots and then went and checked them on my pc, this was the 3rd shot. The rest was useless so it's not easy getting it right. I used a remote for triggering the shutter...

Strawberry.jpg

Exif Data
F 4.5
Exposure time 1/1000
Focal length 30mm using my 18-55mm lens.
ISO 200

Most reactions

New Topics

Back