Percentage of shots you keep?

I keep most of them... I find that I'm overly critical of my stuff and later on when I come back I wind up liking them. Also, LOTS of my shots are of my kids, so even if they're not that great, they're still pics of the kids and I hate tossing them.

Now, how many I keep and how many I put out for viewing is very different... on average, with the shots of the kids I'd say I put up 60-70% of them... of the shots of commercial real estate, I put up (or give to the customer) about 25% of them, of my artistic shots, I am happy with 10-20%.

Personally I find that I end up showing about 20-25% of the photos I take, depending on the situation.

I will say though that I do cull a great number of my photos, a main reason for this is so that when I look back over my photos later I will remember the good ones and be challenged to keep up the good work, and also to keep improving.

I am still able to look back and see my improvement because the old keepers are not as good as my more recent keepers, but it also helps me feel better about my work because all I see are my good (in my opinion anyway) work.

[...]

Yes, that's one of the secrets of pro shooters that Stanfield was getting at - we shoot out-of-foucs and bad exposures all the time. We just don't let you see them. ;)

[...]

I keep (almost) everything but I also don't show you the bad ones ;)
And the casual blurry feet shot, I delete immediately.

[...]

I understand those of you who say that you go back and try to make your "okay" shots better in Photoshop later. If that's what you want to do, fine. For me the picture-taking process is the fun part, not the sitting at the computer, so I'd rather go shoot more than to try to save something that didn't work the first time. Just my way, though.

Have fun out there! :D

So I have 2x the fun you have. I love to take photos and I love to post-process in Photoshop giving them a whole new visual appeal. It's a thrill.

Most reactions

Back