Perhaps not Stunning but the Practical Side of HDR

mistermonday

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I needed to shoot a new renovation - strong sunlight through the window and a square room that could not be captured with a wide angle lens. HDR and Panorama was the only practical solution. 4 sets of bracketed images taken. Each set processed with the same preset and the 4 resulting images stitched together in Photoshop's Photomerge. Anything that looks like a halo is actually a reflection from the external sunlight and internal ambient lighting. Lots of shots and processing for a single output - I imagine that it would be tough as a photographer to make a lot of revenue from shooting residential real estate.
Bathroom_Reno_LoRes.jpg

Regards, Murray

Thanks Murray. Very nice shot. The only thing Id do is give it more Highlight Smoothing until that dirty look is gone. You can see halos around the far facing wall, as well as halos of light and dark around the little facing wall to the right and around the paper roll holder. Give it the smoothing until the grayish area is cleaned up and your room will sparkle.

Bynx, thanks for the comments. The recessed florescent tube, plus the tunsten pot lights, plus the incident sunlight, plus reflections off glass and granite, all created a wild melange of lightspots and patterns all over the place. In effect you could say the original scene was full of natural light halos. The HDR merge process tended to cancel a lot of them out because of the averaging algorithms. Tone mapping tended to reduce them further. TM Strength was kept pretty low so what you see as halos are actually less than the natural scene and not induced in the HDR process. Like you I also felt that the microcontrast left part of the result looking a little gritty & dark.
Thanks & regards, Murray

The whole concept is startlingly familiar.

BrownWorkingsmall.jpg

except done well

Perhaps you should change your username to Q, since you know everything.

And since you know everything, why don't you just leave and let the rest of us learn instead of listing to you do nothing but slam everyone.

except done well

And since you know everything, why don't you just leave and let the rest of us learn instead of listing to you do nothing but slam everyone.

If my experience with you was any indication of your approach with people on these boards, then it is highly likely that you bring a lot of this type of trouble upon yourself.

Nice mister, I actually am surprised realtors don't use this. They sell a million dollar mansion with some point and shoot camera... doesn't make a ton of sense.

Nice mister, I actually am surprised realtors don't use this. They sell a million dollar mansion with some point and shoot camera... doesn't make a ton of sense.
they are on a very thin profit margin. either that or they can't use a DSLR (why is this forum to exclusive to dslrs anyway)

Some use p&s, some use large format like sinar. On another forum there is a member who profits well off of shooting yacht interiors with sinar systems. Also some sort of T/S to maintain straight lines and perspectives.

except done well

Still don't get it do you.....
Compare the two images again and see if you can spot the difference in quality.

Note to self: Must learn how to HDR.....

How much salt do you have to pound into a turd to call it a McRib?

Not nearly as much as you have to pound to call it a McNugget.

Most reactions

Back