Perhaps the most important piece of hardware in a digital photographers arsenal,

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 129715

Pluss a 5TB external drive.

Thanks for sharing. According to CPU validator, most systems run on a 2 core (46.2%) or 4 core (43.8%)processor and you are right in the thick of things there with yours.
No where near the most important thing but here ya go.
I never indicated it was the most important thing, just that it was perhaps the most important piece of hardware in a digital photographers arsenal of tools. You simply cannot go from a RAW image to a final photograph without one, even if you opt to use the one that is built into your camera, you are still relying on a computer. Even if you don't agree with that, you have to admit it's the most versatile one.
It's only the most important piece of hardware when you get to the edit stage of a photo ;). Of course they also make nice archiving and retrieval tools as well as a way to create a DVD movie you can share with friends. They can fill a lot more roles than a camera or a lens does, although those are each the most important hardware at various other times. :)

Whether you do editing on a laptop desktop, tablet, phone or in the camera, you are, like it or not, relying on a computer for your image creation. To me that says it's pretty important. Maybe even the most important hardware you use. You can snap pictures all day on a digital camera, but if you ever want to look at one, you have to use a computer of some type.

LOL I still haven't seen your work so you have nothing to backup what you said, fine art and all. LOL Laughable.

The secret to being an authority in a topic is to talk a lot and never, ever show one's own work.
No one expects you to be an authority on the subject, we are just comparing the tools we use, the same as listing the cameras you use.
I added some instructions for using the CPU-Z validator if you are not sure what your system specs are in the OP.

Actually, you seem to be making yourself the authority on any subject that doesn't involve sharing pictures or actual photo knowledge.

Actually, you seem to be making yourself the authority on any subject that doesn't involve sharing pictures or actual photo knowledge.
No, I am not an authority on anything, just a person seeing things through my own eyes and trying to relate that information to others. :)
I show my work nearly every day all across the country. You are welcome to go see it anytime. Make sure you bring your money too, it's all for sale. :)

I show my work nearly every day all across the country. You are welcome to go see it anytime. Make sure you bring your money too, it's all for sale. :)

Move along now, there's nothing to see but a bunch of BS.

Albert Klein.... that name rings a bell.... hmm...

Move along now, there's nothing to see but a bunch of BS.

Albert Klein.... that name rings a bell.... hmm...
I like Robert Klein but don't know about Alan.

Well, for those of us who many not have immediate access to it "in person", how about posting a few examples of your work here on TPF?

One of the members of the Photo club I attend weekly doesn't have a computer at all. He does have a nice camera & some good lenses, which he's set up to give great prints (with the printer connected directly to the camera). Getting it right in camera means he has little need to reprocess his shots afterwards. His old slide shots are also impressive!

IMO the computer hardware is the least important. After all even if just talking about editing it's the software & the skills to use it that make the difference. High spec computer hardware typically just speeds up the editing. Yes a good display does help, but only if it's properly calibrated...

My PC is over 5 years old now, brought as a replacement for one I built from components & upgraded bit by bit periodically for nearer 15 years (three different mother boards & multiple versions of windows in that time). It does the job & rarely keeps me waiting for long.

As has been said before the most important bit of hardware though is the bit behind the viewfinder. :)

One of the members of the Photo club I attend weekly doesn't have a computer at all. He does have a nice camera & some good lenses, which he's set up to give great prints (with the printer connected directly to the camera). Getting it right in camera means he has little need to reprocess his shots afterwards. His old slide shots are also impressive!

IMO the computer hardware is the least important. After all even if just talking about editing it's the software & the skills to use it that make the difference. High spec computer hardware typically just speeds up the editing. Yes a good display does help, but only if it's properly calibrated...

My PC is over 5 years old now, brought as a replacement for one I built from components & upgraded bit by bit periodically for nearer 15 years (three different mother boards & multiple versions of windows in that time). It does the job & rarely keeps me waiting for long.
As has been said before the most important bit of hardware though is the bit behind the viewfinder. :)
The camera has a computer in it. So he is using a computer, just not an external one. You really have no choice about using a computer for digital photography, sorry to say. Also, the printer has a type of computer in it as well. If you drive a car to take photos, guess what the car most likely has one in it too running java.
What is behind the camera is called wetware, not hardware. :)

High spec computer hardware typically just speeds up the editing.
Exactly what I have said a dozen times here already, thank you for understanding that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back