Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Vladimir Estragon, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Vladimir Estragon

    Vladimir Estragon TPF Noob!

    Jul 18, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Thanks for the responses, folks. It sounds to me like the guard in Chiller's case was full of it. A private security officer (at least in the US) cannot legally fine you, detain you, or do anything other than ask you to leave or call the police. If the guard was a real law enforcement officer, he could arrest you or cite you, but not fine you directly.

    As for my own situation, I think I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. I've got better things to do than seek out the owner of every building I want to photograph. I haven't yet actually been asked to leave, although one guy was really suspicious of why I was taking pictures of some coils of wire he had stacked up next to his factory. He thought I was working for his competitors or something.

  2. GimpyPoop

    GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

    Dec 22, 2003
    Likes Received:
    New Orleans, LA and Houston, TX, USA
    My ex-roommate used to have her subjects sign release form that said they were entitled to the prints, but . . . she never contacted them to give them copies. But she was never published.
    My one friend had pictures taken of her for some MTV project, so now her face is plastered somewhere on the outside of the TRL building (or maybe inside). She had to sign a ton of waivers.
    Me, the Flea
  3. metroshane

    metroshane TPF Noob!

    Apr 30, 2003
    Likes Received:

    Wrong, very wrong. As the creator of the original intellectual property you retain the right to reproduce and create derivative works (your example). The only limitations on copyrights are those of fair use as defined in section 107 of the 1976 copyright law.

    Take Rogers v. Koons (1992) for an example of derivative work protection. I'll let you read it. If you are not an attorney, and I'm not either, don't present this type of info as fact without some cites. Even with the law at your feet, if you don't have the money to defend a suit (even if you win you still have to pay your lawyers) then get proper authorization. [/b]

Share This Page