mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

DSC_3338-Edit by Deanna D Chambers, on Flickr

Ok so you can see in this picture where I have dust on the sensor. I am quite the chicken **** when it comes to monkeying around the inside of my camera. I did try to use the rocket blower to blow it out. Locked the mirror up tried that, tried the clean sensor utility in camera.

What should my next step be. Take it in?

Or do it yourself.

Cleaning a camera is something that has to be done periodically... This won't be the last time it will need cleaning.

You can take it to a shop, and they will gladly take your money and clean your camera ... but for what they will charge you, you could buy everything you need to do hundreds of cleanings.

It's not really that hard.

Or do it yourself.

Cleaning a camera is something that has to be done periodically... This won't be the last time it will need cleaning.

You can take it to a shop, and they will gladly take your money and clean your camera ... but for what they will charge you, you could buy everything you need to do hundreds of cleanings.

It's not really that hard.

So a wet cleaning? Thanks I have had a friend recommend something called Pentax Lollipop so I will check that out and TheCamerastores video tutorial. Hopefully my shaky hands don't break anything lol.
I should have stressed I was looking for whether a dry cleaning solution vs wet cleaning solution should have been next.

Last edited:
Once you do it a couple times, then realize the universe will not collapse into a black hole, you'll be the better for it.

More than once I've found myself doing this in the field.

Haha honestly I am not very steady when it comes to tiny hand tuned things. Camera in my hand great can be steady as a rock, but you see on all the videos don't put too much liquid, bend the brush only a little or you can wreck havoc etc etc. Dry vs wet. I have watched the videos but still worry about breaking something. Some people say never wet ever, others say this. I just need to learn how to do it properly the first time and then I guess I will be fine. One can hope. That or the world will collapse into a black hole.

I should have stressed I was looking for whether a dry cleaning solution vs wet cleaning solution should have been next.
It sounds like you've already done all of the dry steps. The only other thing you could try is a brush. I personally don't like them though - it's just as easy to do a wet cleaning, and a wet cleaning is more effective.

...........That or the world will collapse into a black hole.

Nah. The worst than can happen is you'll end up with an excuse to upgrade to a better camera.
sakaw.gif

Can't afford the D3 so I would officially be hooped.

I'm keeping my powder dry until The Big Nikon Announcement that's coming up.

Maybe the D4/D400/D800 will be made.

It'll be another P&S. :lol: Isn't that what always happens? Everyone's waiting for the big announcement, and then it's just another P&S or entry level body...

Ah well the D700 is great for what I need, i have the D90 for the crop factor if I ever decide to want to try wildlife etc. I am saving for a wide angle.

+1 I've been saving budget pennies for this as well.

Me too, but events have conspired against me lately. Issues larger than NAS have reared their ugly heads.

They'll either announce a jaw-dropping show-stopper, or it will be "That's all you got?"

Reposting my standard, "Sensor cleaning, it's easier than you think!"
Sensor-cleaning. It's easy to do and should be considered routine maintenance. Spending $50 - 75 for something that takes, literally five minutes, is foolish IMO. Do it yourself, save time and money, just be careful!

DON'T be scared of cleaning your camera! All you need are the right tools. I'll repost this just for info:

Contrary to popular belief, cleaning your own sensor is easy, and difficult to screw up. You should have a few tools though. My preference is for the Visible Dust line of products, in particular the Arctic Butterfly; it's a little pricey, but worth it.

Get a Giottos rocket, DO NOT use one of those cheap blower bulbs with a built in brush. They're dust/lint traps. Remove the lens, and holding hte camera at a 45 angle with the lens opening pointing down, thoroughly blow out the mirror chamber. Now, lock up the mirror and clean off the sensor. Once you've blown off the "big chunks" use the Arctic Butterfly to clean off the small stuff following the instructions provided.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go to a wet cleaning system, which is a still easy to do. In ten years of digital photography, I've never had to use a wet cleaning system on any sensor.

Remember that you're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning the low-pass filter in front of the sensor which is usually made of mineral glass or other very tough material. It's actually quite difficult to scratch or damage. It is easy to get streaky if you **** up with a wet-cleaning system, but that's not permanent.​

Most reactions

New Topics

Back