Personal Question

In the movie Frida, there's a great quote by Diego Rivera. You are an artist when you can be nothing else. When you can't do anything but paint (or take pics), you are an artist whether or not other people recognize it.

I like to create. Instead of being really good at one medium, I end up learning many. I enjoy composing music, playing music, I used to model and render 3D images... the list goes on.

That is why.

i've always enjoyed being a "model" for other photographers ... then i met my hubby who is into graphics design, web design, photography, video, etc. .... so i kinda picked it up watching and assisting him ...

i would use his camera to take pics and send them off to friends and family ... but i always told him that i wanna know everything he knows :D ... so he started schooling me on the basics of photography, but letting me make my own mistakes and finding my own style ...

i've always been into the arts and creations... what i love about photography is the creativity in it ... kinda like art ..

I am also in it for the "arts/creations" sake, I thought it would be neat to get some opinions from people in different fields. I am particularly interested in the "business" end. Not that I particularly agree with creating images to push product or anything like that, but I would like to hear from a person schooled in that "style". If for no other reason than to hear the justification as an "art" form.

Hope the wording here wasn't offensive to anyone here, just would like some possible points other than "art", "creation", "creativity" etc....

sometimes my hubby does product shots for his company and minimul for others ... but since its a "design" company, their pretty liberal to "artistic" ideas so he can be more creative in the display of the product ....

however, he's done shots for more "conservative" companies and find it quite dissatifying on the artistic side, but somewhat challenging on the technical side...

now, he's creating his own style for product shots but from an artistic perspective ... the goal from any product shot is to display the product clearly.... but he's going with a twist this time around ... being that we live in New York, their more open to innovative ideals ...

Like most I have succumbed to the product shot gig every so often. I do think it possible to approach it from a fresh angle and it can be a fun challenge to extract interest from a plastic bottle or can of brand "X".

I do not however speak the product shot "language" very fluently. Like the language in the super market (i.e. certain colored light, certain kind of music, certain kind of smells etc) all geared towards moving merchandise.

At times I find this to be a fascinating topic and would like to learn more about it. If anyone here is a product pusher aficionado or at least is familiar with the tools please speak up...

if i were to ever get into product shots (once i get more experience :p ) ... i would do stuff like shoes and funky clothing articles from like smaller boutique stores ... but i would kill to do CD covers :D ... maybe some whacked out, up and coming rock star will like my "junk" stuff :lol:

Gotta go with MD and look on it as a means to capture something and a picture seems to preserve an emotion.

Dew said:
if i were to ever get into product shots (once i get more experience :p ) ... i would do stuff like shoes and funky clothing articles from like smaller boutique stores ... but i would kill to do CD covers :D ... maybe some whacked out, up and coming rock star will like my "junk" stuff :lol:

Dew, I could easily picture one of you're doll pictures on the cover of a cd. I think it would be really cool.
I'll drop you a line if I ever make it as a rock star... 8)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back