Perspective - Camera placement shenanigans

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have started doing a series of self portraits that revolve around having the camera in an odd place.

First, it started in my refrigerator. I had a Monolight setup camera left through an umbrella (outside the fridge obviously), and a speedlight in the fridge triggered with Pixel King's on TTL w/ the flash exposure compensation dialed down.

5D2, 28mm, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/160s
"Shelf portrait"
405412_10150538409336912_500091911_9076453_730641848_n.jpg

Then, it found its way into the bottom drawer of my dresser. I paired my 430EXII with the PK Transmitters and fired them via TTL at my wall. I have my walls painted "Organic Green" (for those of you who know me, you know why I chose that color) and it gave the photo a green glow. I thought the green worked with the minimalistic tone.

5D2, 35mm f/5, ISO 200, 1/125s
igjK82roBOQLt.jpg

The wash
Probably will re-take with better lighting. I shot this with just a 430EX off camera bounced in a closet type area. I definitely need at least two lights though for better effect
ifRtIOgomRnx5.jpg

"Picture in Picture"
5D1, 35mm f/2 @ f/4, 1/100s, ISO 400
I shot this with just a 430EX II bounced off the ceiling. Kind of a tricky exposure. First I had the trigger mounted on the 5D2 (where my image was initially taken) to get the right exposure. I knew if I were to try and trigger the flash on the 5D1 with the 5D2 in live view mode that the live view would not acclimate to the flash exposure properly. So once I had the image of myself on the 5D2, I focused the 5D1 directly behind it on a table (I know, it's dusty... But also more realistic). I then put the trigger on the 5D1 to send a TTL metered flash out to illuminate the backside of the camera. I then posed in front of the 5D2 for the added effect of it being in live view.

It was probably the toughest to shoot so far, but it was fun.

iEdJ4CtnbOeqF.jpg

Life from the inside of my Customary Barge Deluxe. I figured I hadn't done one in a while, so I got off my lazy ass and made it happen.

i4XNGAJ0WWooM.jpg

Last edited:
Who's the guy in the Photos? You're a pissed off Black guy

Right...

?

L
o
L

Who's the guy in the Photos? You're a pissed off Black guy

Right...

?

L
o
L

Nah... I am just some white dude from Maine. There's quite a few of us white dudes up here.

Fistbump

Original post updated with 3rd photo

Diggin' these Tyler. Keep 'em comming.

EDIT:
Sent an idea to you via PM, but your mailbox is full. :er:

Last edited:
Pretty cool man.

Diggin' these Tyler. Keep 'em comming.

EDIT:
Sent an idea to you via PM, but your mailbox is full. :er:

Ooooh, my bad. Deleting some now!

Ive seen people do shoots from the fridge perspective. I really like it. It makes me feel like I'm the food.

You must be quite popular. Nobody bothers to PM me........ well, once in a while, every now and then, a couple of times a year. I must be one boring SOB.

Sending PM again.

I like. Especially the washing machine. All well lit (who could expect anything less from Tyler?) and interesting.

You must be quite popular. Nobody bothers to PM me........ well, once in a while, every now and then, a couple of times a year. I must be one boring SOB.

Sending PM again.

I actually am quite popular. It's my bullet-proof good looks, and chip-on-the-shoulder attitude. A loose Canon, worth messaging. :lmao:

I like. Especially the washing machine. All well lit (who could expect anything less from Tyler?) and interesting.

Thanks Granddad... I appreciate it. Truth be told, I'm not in love with the lighting on #3. I feel like it could have used a little more fill from underneath. But I also think in its current version, it looks like I am being lit by a fluorescent light from above (similar to what you'd find near a laundry machine I'd reckon).

Thanks everybody for the kind words! I'll be adding more as time goes on and I'll re-bump the post when I add a new one.

:)

Thanks Granddad... I appreciate it. Truth be told, I'm not in love with the lighting on #3. I feel like it could have used a little more fill from underneath. But I also think in its current version, it looks like I am being lit by a fluorescent light from above (similar to what you'd find near a laundry machine I'd reckon).
:)

I like the lighting on #3 precisely because it looks like the view from inside a washing machine ... Or rather, how I imagine the view from inside a washing machine might look, I haven't spent a great deal of my life looking at the world from the inside of a washing machine but your photo has inspired me to visit said location in my imagination. ;)

Most reactions

Back