Petit Jean Mountain, Arkansas

HL45

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't get to travel often but July has been my month it seems. Less than 2 hours drive from home, Petit Jean Mountain sticks out as you drive I-40 west from Little Rock.
I have only been there once and that was in my youth. The State Park has Cedar Falls. The falls didn't have enough water this time of year for a good photo so I shot what I could.
Hoping to make it back this fall when the wet season and fall colors happen!
Thanks for any feedback on these, hope you enjoy them.

Mitch

3 Images stitched with Canostitch

pano002 by mtw2118, on Flickr

B&W of one of the trails

Petitjean-100-10 by mtw2118, on Flickr

One of the overlooks around the mountain

PetitJean_-9 by mtw2118, on Flickr

Sunsets.......

Petitjean-10 by mtw2118, on Flickr

PetitJean_Sunset by mtw2118, on Flickr

Looks like a beautiful area; love the pano!

Up just a bit north from there, according to Google maps, is a place called McElroy Gap. It's named for my great-grandparents who homesteaded there in the very early 1900s--I have a story written by my great-aunt when the area was named and dedicated to her parents.
it's one of my goals to get there to visit one day, but in the meantime, if you ever find yourself driving down McElroy Gap Road, stop and take some pics for me!

Up just a bit north from there, according to Google maps, is a place called McElroy Gap. It's named for my great-grandparents who homesteaded there in the very early 1900s--I have a story written by my great-aunt when the area was named and dedicated to her parents.
it's one of my goals to get there to visit one day, but in the meantime, if you ever find yourself driving down McElroy Gap Road, stop and take some pics for me!
Thanks! I just checked the map, not to far from where I've been lately! I passed through Marshal earlier this month for a float trip on the Buffalo River. Beautiful area. :)

Thanks! I just checked the map, not to far from where I've been lately! I passed through Marshal earlier this month for a float trip on the Buffalo River. Beautiful area. :)

Marshall, huh? I just looked at Google maps for where that was, since I hadn't heard of it. Quite interesting, as my great-grandfather's name was Marshall! As far as I know, Marshall, Arkansas has no connection to him, but as close as it is to McElroy Gap, it does make you wonder! I know that as the "kids" grew up and left the mountain area that became McElroy Gap, they settled in Harrison and Conway and surrounding parts, so it's not completely out of the question there could be some connection, just not one I'm aware of.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread of beautiful scenic photos with my family history! :D

I'm off now with the sudden urge to work on some more family genealogy tonight. :lmao:

EDIT: Definitely not connected. It was named for John Marshall, chief justice of the US.

Marshall, huh? I just looked at Google maps for where that was, since I hadn't heard of it. Quite interesting, as my great-grandfather's name was Marshall! As far as I know, Marshall, Arkansas has no connection to him, but as close as it is to McElroy Gap, it does make you wonder! I know that as the "kids" grew up and left the mountain area that became McElroy Gap, they settled in Harrison and Conway and surrounding parts, so it's not completely out of the question there could be some connection, just not one I'm aware of.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread of beautiful scenic photos with my family history! :D

I'm off now with the sudden urge to work on some more family genealogy tonight. :lmao:

EDIT: Definitely not connected. It was named for John Marshall, chief justice of the US.
Cool! we all learned something! :)

Most reactions

Back