The Barbarian

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Mrs. Barbarian's work.
26718397257_b6921873e6_b.jpg

Nice light and lovely detail

Apparently not. This was a single image, and much more burning in makes it muddy.

I'm in a cast at the moment, so I couldn't go up stairs. When I can, I plan to go back with a tripod and get several exposures.

Like it, but maybe get rid of some of the shadows in the self corners.

Nice light and lovely detail

Apparently not. This was a single image, and much more burning in makes it muddy.

I'm in a cast at the moment, so I couldn't go up stairs. When I can, I plan to go back with a tripod and get several exposures.

Wait, so why is this in the HDR section if it's just a single image?

Raw file, converted to three different exposure levels, and HDR on those.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of that? If you're using a single image, why not just edit that one image?

In raw, there's enough data to make three different exposures. You could just tonemap one exposure, but it doesn't seem to work as well.

If the end result is indistinguishable from a multiple image HDR, then what difference does it make? It's still an excellent image.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of that? If you're using a single image, why not just edit that one image?

he did...

Sounds like he used one image, and created three different files from it. I'm just wondering why not just edit the one file. It has all the same data in it. Just seems like a waste of time to me.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just legitimately don't understand the benefit of doing it this way.

he did...

Sounds like he used one image, and created three different files from it. I'm just wondering why not just edit the one file. It has all the same data in it. Just seems like a waste of time to me.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just legitimately don't understand the benefit of doing it this way.

technically he did edit just one file.

the information is all there, correct. But you need to gather the information to display it back correctly.

By creating the three exposures out of the single image, then merging them back using HDR techniques, he was able to unlock the details from the shadows/highlights and then combine it back into one layer.

Otherwise, just using sliders on the signal raw image may not (or may) garnish the same results.

Especially just in LR, it's hard to mask out certain areas like just the window in this one, without brining those exposure layers into something like PS.

Currently I'm fond of using luminosity masks to do something similar. I would create a digital copy in LR with the sky recovered, then bring both images in PS to combine using luminosity masks, then export back to LR.

something about skinning animals...

Last edited:

he did...

technically he did edit just one file.

the information is all there, correct. But you need to gather the information to display it back correctly.

By creating the three exposures out of the single image, then merging them back using HDR techniques, he was able to unlock the details from the shadows/highlights and then combine it back into one layer.

Otherwise, just using sliders on the signal raw image may not (or may) garnish the same results.

Especially just in LR, it's hard to mask out certain areas like just the window in this one, without brining those exposure layers into something like PS.

Currently I'm fond of using luminosity masks to do something similar. I would create a digital copy in LR with the sky recovered, then bring both images in PS to combine using luminosity masks, then export back to LR.

something about skinning animals...

Just sounds like a lot of effort to me. Why not just use the brush tool in Lightroom to bring up/down what you need in the image?

Most reactions

Back