Phase One or Leaf?

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone. There really isn't a place for this thread, so here it be. I'm sitting here right now without a functional DSLR. My Canon 7D quit and, frankly, hasn't been as reliable as I'd want. Anyway, since then I've acquired a Mamiya 645AFD and am looking for a digital back for it. I'm torn between a Leaf Aptus (22mp model) or a Phase One P25 (also 22mp).

Phase One Pros:

Integrated Battery, tougher construction, light, excellent image quality

Negatives:

Expensive, TINY screen, can't tether with my non-Firewire laptop

Leaf pros:

Image quality similar to that of the Phase, larger and infinitely better screen, less expensive

Negatives:

Battery hangs below and doesn't look overly stable, open fan port (no shooting in ANY kind of inclement weather-I like shooting in snowstorms), still can't tether, looks a little more fragile than the Phase One.

OK, there it is. If these were your options, which would you choose, and if you can, tell me why? I've been agonizing over this decision for too long now.

Welp, I've made up my mind. Leaf it will be! Now to decide between an Aptus 22 or Aptus 65...

Congrats, question for you though. You say you can tether because of the firewire. Can't you find an adapter from (I assume) USB to firewire to make this happen?

Lemme throw a wrench into the gears here.

What about shooting film and scanning the negs?

Lemme throw a wrench into the gears here.

What about shooting film and scanning the negs?

What???????? Where do you plug in the cable (what cable?) for that?? lolol

Ummm..................... like.......................... into the scanner..........................???? :345:

I do have a scanner (broken, needs repair, but have an untested one from Goodwill) and I do have a film back, but I need digital for workflow reasons (I promise quick turnaround). Because of my scanning situation, my film work tends not to be as precise. And no, apparently there is no such thing as a true Firewire to USB adapter. :( So tethering will not be an option unless I somehow win the lottery and come up with the cash to get a Credo or IQ.

I HAVE MADE THE DECISION! Either tonight or tomorrow, I will be the proud owner of a Leaf Aptus 22. My transition into digital medium format will be complete early next week when the back arrives. :D Oooh I can't wait!

I know nothing about that stuff, but will this set up be more expensive than say a new Pentax medium format digital?

No, it won't be more expensive than the Pentax. In fact, it will be around 1/2 the price.

Oh, I've been looking at those MF digital backs too. Way out of my price range at the moment unfortunatley but I'd love to shoot with one. Anyway congrats on your decision, I look forard to seeing the results

This one's going to be a bit more than that, Gary. But you're relatively close.

Pete, I can't wait to try it out. :D I'll happily post them here.

Oh, I've been looking at those MF digital backs too. Way out of my price range at the moment unfortunatley but I'd love to shoot with one. Anyway congrats on your decision, I look forard to seeing the results
It's better with film

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That, actually, is debatable. Medium format digital does a better job at replicating film than 35mm based DSLRs by a large margin at the moment.

Most reactions

Back