Philosophical: Photography "too easy" ?

Player piano...when I was in HS 1979-1981, I had a friend whose parents had a player piano and a box or two of "paper rolls"...
I think we bought his piano. It was about that time when we bought one. The bellows were so leaky that we had to pump extra fast to keep proper time. I thought about restoring it, but in the end did i not and gave it away.

My grandmother, had the player piano in her house, but a fire in her "parlor", destroyed it. Fortunately the damage was contained to one room. Why the reels were in another room or why they were saved no one knows anymore.

Okay, okay, some people make an art out of letter writing.

Doesnt mean you can get into a museum and view them on display.

Its really artisany, not art just yet.

In this respect you can make pretty much any occupation an art, cooking, cleaning the house, ...

Whats film........?............:)

Oh ... um ... I dont remember anymore.

I wonder how all those early photographers reacted to the Kodak Brownie (photography made easy) when it came out in 1900.

Doesnt compare to digital, really.

With digital you can have 1:1 the same image quality as with film. If not better, since digital has higher efficiency.

Unless of course you refer to smartphones. Then yes, the smartphone is pretty much todays Brownie.

...In this respect you can make pretty much any occupation an art, cooking, cleaning the house, ...

With respect (I am not slamming you here) but actually yes.
The Chinese and Japanese have a very long history of turning event he most mundaine chores into an art.
Celled chanoyu (茶の湯) the Japanese Tea ceremony takes one of the UK's most daily routines (Tea time) and turns it (actually about 1000 years before) into literally an art.

Doesnt compare to digital, really.

With digital you can have 1:1 the same image quality as with film. If not better, since digital has higher efficiency.

i will disagree on the prose of the statement but not wholly disagree.
Yes more efficient if your discussing chemical use and resources to achieve the film media.
it is also more efficient with storage than film but there are some distinct disadvantages as well.
Plus digital is still working off of light intensity rather than reaction.
that tied in with format size and various discussions over DoF and the like the organic feel of film still in my opinion trumps digital.

Doesnt mean you can get into a museum and view them on display

I'd have to disagree with this. I have a copy of a letter from Abraham Lincoln to one of my great, great Uncle that is on display at the Smithsonian as are many more. Then there's this https://www.fenimoreartmuseum.org/current-exhibitions/hamilton. Or this Museum of Letters. Or this The John Singer Sargent Archive: Letters. Could probably find some more.

Plus, it doesn't have to be displayed in a museum to be considered art. How many volumes of writers' letters have been published? Yes, sometimes it is intended for scholarly purposes, but they curate the letters carefully, not just for content but for form as well.

Yes, I do believe that activities that are generally considered mundane can be elevated to an art form. The Japanese tea ceremoney mentioned above. I've been to one - a former student of mine was trained in the tea ceremony and she invited me and some others to her home. It's beautiful.

Or how about Soviet propaganda posters? Beaux Arts advertising? Art Deco architecture and furniture design? Cake decorating?

I've seen some art photos posted on...on...on...wait for it...on Instagram.

I see I'm pretty late to the party but I will always remember what I heard in my first digital photography class.

The teacher said "I can teach you how to use your camera but I can't teach you how to be a photographer".

And how right he was!!
Just because something is in focus doesn't a "good" photo make.

@Original katomi since you seemed to take exception with my comment by marking it disagree, then maybe you could explain how or why you disagree with my comment, rather then marking and moving on. Do you also disagree with Squarepeg, socoom1, or others who've said the same? Maybe you also disagree with some your own comments?

It's a disagree button, not an insult or an attack or a mark against you. This is an overreaction. Also, it's possible that it was marked Disagree in error. I know when I'm on my phone I frequently hit the wrong tag.
Are people required to give an explanation when they DO agree.? :)

Hi all re the comment on disagree. Smoke and I have pm.d on this and if you read past posts you will see my comments on thumb swipe, too much time on Amazon lol, This is not a get at or have a go at someone post just it’s ok all concerned have spoken and sorted it out.

I see I'm pretty late to the party but I will always remember what I heard in my first digital photography class.

The teacher said "I can teach you how to use your camera but I can't teach you how to be a photographer".

And how right he was!!
Just because something is in focus doesn't a "good" photo make.

How true, you can see this in all walks of life.

I'd have to disagree with this.

Invalid counterexample, since those letters are valued for their historical value or for their content, but not as a piece of art.

I'd have to disagree with this.

Invalid counterexample, since those letters are valued for their historical value or for their content, but not as a piece of art.

Not to not pick, but I was disagreeing with your statement "Doesnt mean you can get into a museum and view them on display". I was pointing out examples of museums that did display letters. As to whether or not letters based on their content or calligraphy in general is an art form lies in the eye of the beholder. There's a ton of paintings, drawings, statues, photographs, etc, that I personally don't consider art even if it's displayed in a museum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back