Phoenix, Vivitar and Tokina lenses?

superkentendo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new zoom and wideangle lens for my Canon A-1 (FD mount) and the only brands B&H gives me are Phoenix, Vivitar, and Tokina. I'm kinda hesitant to buy those brands. Could anyone tell me how decent they are?

Vivitar and Tokina are fine; I don't have much knowledge of Phoenix. Tokina is probably considered better than Vivitar, but most modern lenses are wonders of computer aided engineering. Ansel Adams says in "The Camera" that even the cheapest brands of lens made today (and he died in the 80's?) are better than he had to work with :lol:

The old Vivitar Series One 70-210 used to be considered a standard that others were compared to, depending on when they were made. (Vivitar used to farm out the mfg of their designs) You can usually get one for a good price on Ebay.

ksmattfish said:
Vivitar and Tokina are fine; I don't have much knowledge of Phoenix. Tokina is probably considered better than Vivitar, but most modern lenses are wonders of computer aided engineering. Ansel Adams says in "The Camera" that even the cheapest brands of lens made today (and he died in the 80's?) are better than he had to work with :lol:

do you think that is actually true? I thought there were some pretty good lenses from back in the day? of course I know about squat when it comes to old cameras, I just had a feeling that some of the old lenses were pretty decent.. compared to some of these lenses i've seen in the back of mags, like a 1300mm for $100.oo... :roll:

From what I know the Pheonix lenses are paper weights. I know quite a few people who sware by Tokina's though for FD mount. There are quite a few Canon FD lenses to be had for very good prices on ebay though. I have been thinking of buying an old FD just to be able to take advantage of some great lenses for pennies on the dollar compared to EF. Just my $.02

Most reactions

New Topics

Back