Phone Book Ad

do people still use phone books? i can't imagine that a client who still uses a phone book would be a very profitable client. i mean, they would have to lack access to the internet and the motivation to research a product they are interested in. i can't remember the last time i used a phone book.

oh, except to flatten out papers/photos that get wet.

A recent study showed that 85% of people looking for something on the internet click and buy/use the content on the first page or results. Being number 1-4 on Googles page when someone searches Photographers in your area is key. Phonebooks are a thing of the past. I would venture to say that they will be all but gone in another 10 years. New numbers are updated realtime on the internet "phone books". The numbers that are in the print version are out of date before you get the book. Kind of like computers... Just my .02 but I bet next time you look to invest in marketing, you'd do better to invest in SEO, or search engine optimization.

I've heard from several photographers who have said that yellow page adds have not given them enough return on investment. Last I heard, it was still fairly expensive to advertise in the yellow pages.

You need to consider who is looking for your services. If you are looking for wedding clients, it's likely the people searching for you are in their 20's. Most people in that demographic (in this part of the world) have internet access and probably don't use the phone book.

If you are shooting portraits, you are probably looking for an older demographic, people who have families and older children etc. They are more likely to use the phone book.

I think that for a lot of businesses, having a phone book ad is more about having a presence. If you have a yellow pages ad, it gives the impression that you are a real company and aren't just some fly-by-night operation. Just how many sales you get because of the ad...is another question.

I read something the other day...that really makes sense in this business; A print ad isn't for selling your service, it's only for getting people to your web site. So don't load it down with too much information, just give them something to catch their eye and intrigue them enough to visit your web site.

Mike (as always) is on point. Look at the cost of the ad. Not sure if it is important in the retail world, but having a presence is very important. In commercial or retail or what ever; waiting for the client to call you is a bad idea. It is more effective if you contact them first.

Love & Bass

I disagree with the notion that no one uses the phone book anymore. Despite the advent of the internet, some people turn to a phonebook for its familiarity; and the listings in a phonebook are much cleaner too (you simply go right down the list, call each one, and ask what you need..as opposed to Google results that may be intermixed with other things, and websites with different formats have a slight learning curve concerning how to navigate to find the information you're in search of).

No, it's likely not the best idea to use it as a primary marketing source given the internet, but it's an okay supplement for other things you may already have working. Depending on rates, 1 wedding from a phonebook listing could knock out the cost...or one portrait session that leads to countless referrals. I use Yellowpages.com because it's online yet it's a name that the slightly more old-fashioned people are familiar with.

Bottom line, the percentage of people using a phonebook has more to do with the demographic of where you are and what your market is. By nature in this internet age, it won't work for everyone.

...for a lot of businesses, having a phone book ad is more about having a presence. If you have a yellow pages ad, it gives the impression that you are a real company and aren't just some fly-by-night operation. Just how many sales you get because of the ad...is another question.

That's my main reason... a presence.

I gave up the expensive display ad years back. Now I have the smallest available ad. It's still a bit much at $55/month. I do get work from the yellow pages. Occasionally I'll ask, "How did you find us?"

"Just going though the phone book."

YPad.jpg

Most reactions

Back