photo advice and flash question. thanks

thank you, those were helpful answers :thumbup:

Outdoors, most modifiers become a waste as I think VI stated already. Instead of buying some $20-$30 diffuser, get one of these
CowboyStudio Photography Lighting | Studio Equipment | Studio Accessories
and get that flash off camera. You don't have to go far to the side, but straight on flash is typically harsh and fake looking. Yes you CAN make it work at times and especially in a bind, but if you are trying to make your shots look like other pro shots you see, then you will need off camera flash, plain and simple.

EDIT - Umbrellas are very nice also, but make sure you find a way to secure it or it will become a big projectile flying into your models face.

is this a reputable brand? any specific reason you recommend this one?

I recommend this one because its CHEAP. LOL. if you want to spend several hundred, you can buy pocket wizards. These cheap ones don't have TTL, meaning you must adjust the flash manually and compensate with your exposure. Its good to learn since most people will tell you that they always use their flash in manual mode anyway. I don't have that specific one, but bought one of their other ones and it has worked great for its price. They aren't super durable so you can't throw them around, but they do the job. I would have bought the one I recommened had they had it when I bought mine. Its more compact when attached to an umbrella stand, mine makes the flash sit up off center inside the umbrella.

Cowboy studio is wierd on their communication sometimes ( mine took a while to show up and I didn't get any tracking info etc. ) Thought I got jipped, but they came through.

These cheap ones don't have TTL, meaning you must adjust the flash manually and compensate with your exposure.

Sorry to be a hassle but can you explain this a little better. Basically all I do with the flash is set the exposure higher or lower depending on if its washing out the subject. is this what you mean by adjusting the flash manually?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back