Photo Agreement for Concert?

The contract describes this as 'work for hire'. That has typically meant being employed as a photographer. Apparently being contracted as a photographer can also be done as 'work for hire', although usually being contracted means taking photos for a particular purpose and licensing usage of your photos.

It seems like it might be worthwhile for a photographer to be contracted to do work for hire if it involves a product that wouldn't provide photos that would be usable in other ways. My example would be taking photos for marketing for a team; there probably wouldn't be other uses for photos of specific sponsor signs in the arena (at least I've never thought of any), but there may be other uses for player photos, etc. So if a photography job was only of arena signage, maybe work for hire would be an option; but in general doing sports/events the photography is contracted and usage licensed.

Usually photos done as 'work for hire' would belong to the employer. This contract seems to state that iHeartRadio will own the copyright to the photos, not you. So you won't be able to use them. Someone telling you that seems inconsistent with the contract, and I don't think having what was told to you in an email will matter if that violates the signed contract. Basically you'd end up having to license usage of your own photos from iHeartRadio if you wanted to use them, because you would not own the copyright to the photos you took, they would. (Which hardly seems to make sense, but seems to be the case.)

Note the section under 'Wrapping Up" at the end of the article.
Works for Hire: How Not to Get Bitten - asmp

This seems like it could be a fun one time opportunity for someone who's a hobbyist as a photographer. It sounds like a bad deal for someone who is aspiring to be a professional photographer and could otherwise potentially use the photos in a portfolio or to promote his/her business. This doesn't seem like it's going to benefit you as a photographer because you won't be able to use the photos; this seems to only benefit you personally as a fan of the band.

Yeah... idk. It sounds like this is something they do fairly often. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes, and if anything, it'll be a learning experience.

Just reading again and it certainly looks like you can use the images in your portfolio - a private portfolio that is not out for public viewing.

I have many images taken while working for others and those were sent off for marketing people to do as the company desired. I was paid, the marketing people were happy and it is always nice to see your image used in display and packaging.

You can probably also put down the experience on your about page at your web-site.

Just reading again and it certainly looks like you can use the images in your portfolio - a private portfolio that is not out for public viewing.

I have many images taken while working for others and those were sent off for marketing people to do as the company desired. I was paid, the marketing people were happy and it is always nice to see your image used in display and packaging.

You can probably also put down the experience on your about page at your web-site.

Good point!

Of course they do this... happens I think because they can often get people with cameras to do this who want to get in to an event or get access, etc. Then the company gets pictures for free or cheap that they own and can edit and use without having to pay a photographer.

Guess it could be good experience for someone starting out, but doesn't seem like there'd be anything much to show for it without so much as a photo for portfolio use. I don't think I'd sign anything like this, giving away rights to my own work. (Not unless somebody was planning to pull an armored truck full of cash up to my front door!)

What you're talking about Dave is like having 'tear sheets', samples of work that was published. I have for example brochures that my photo was used in and can put the brochure in a portfolio. I'm not sure this contract allows for anything like that.

Most reactions

Back