Photo Booth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayloramr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have heard that some photographers set up an area near a bar (at a wedding) where people can go and get some quick photos taken of couples, groups etc. by an assistant photographer. Has anyone tried this, I am looking to figure out what materials to buy in order to do this. Thanks!

This is becoming quite popular at weddings. You need a simple, usually, white backdrop, a tripod mounted camera and some inexpensive software,

It's an additional charge and the bride gets a copy of all the images on a disc.

I don't have any links for you but if you check some forums frequented by wedding photographers you've easily find some threads about it.

My father keeps nagging me to do this sort of thing "Because most wedding togs Fu** off by the time the reception starts"
But basically you need:
Backdrop of your choice if any
Shoot in JPEG for quicker printing, and try make sure you get all the exposure settings correct
A Camera
A Lens (just incase.. you know can never be too careful!!!)
tripod, just makes the images easier to do
Lightsource such as a flash just incase the available lighting sucks

Laptop + tether cable for easier image viewing and printing
Plenty of ink
Paper
Key ring seals or something or a laminator... up to you tbh.

Heck, I'd just get a little portable 4x6 printer. I have the Epson PictureMate Snap 240 and it does a nice job. Can be run off rechargeable batteries as well, so completely portable.

Just insert a memory card and print.

Epson PictureMate Personal Photo Printers - Epson America, Inc.

Do you have one of them? or just recommending it via online reviews?
After researching the price for the unit + ink i think i might buy one...

I have one and love it, we use it quite often and usually bring it with on holidays - relatives get a kick out of getting a photo to keep before we even eat dinner :lol:
My wife also likes using it for scrapbooking.

The prints are very nice looking and there's a lot of options in the printer as well as far as how you want them printed, red eye, etc... pretty cool and everything works as advertised.

If something happened to ours today I'd buy another one tomorrow.

welldone you have sold it to me... just if i remember the name of the printer in about 2 weeks time :p (when i FINALLY get paid a lousy £172... ($230 roughly i think) per month btw...
and im also hoping for a Canoe to get some river pictures.. but i think a printer comes first.... might buy it when i get my wages AHHH i have too much i want =[ i need to learn to wait! especially since i have college soon = less time to work = less money = less happy william lol
:)

My father keeps nagging me to do this sort of thing "Because most wedding togs Fu** off by the time the reception starts"
But basically you need:

I have a 5 ft by 7ft backdrop, reverse black and white, would that work??? it is really wrinkled dont know how to avoid that in pictures

But basically you need:

I have a 5 ft by 7ft backdrop, reverse black and white, would that work??? it is really wrinkled dont know how to avoid that in pictures
I suggest you iron your backdrop to get rid of the wrinkles or buy a hand held steamer (portable) and take it with you and just give the back drop a quick steam before your shoot but tbh.. you dont ABSELOUTELY need a backdrop, you can use the Reception background and background tbh...

This is becoming quite popular at weddings. You need a simple, usually, white backdrop, a tripod mounted camera and some inexpensive software,

It's an additional charge and the bride gets a copy of all the images on a disc.

I don't have any links for you but if you check some forums frequented by wedding photographers you've easily find some threads about it.

Photo Booths are changing the event planning business, for sure.

For some reason, people are more candid in the booths than posing for their friends, etc.

Women in particular find them peculiar.

This is becoming more popular.
It's basically a small portable studio set up.

I think that a lot of people assume that these are pretty much automated...which isn't true, most of the time anyeay. Sure, there are some automated set ups, but it's usually run by a photographer (or an assistant, as mentioned).

The set up is pretty basic. You set up a backdrop and some studio style lighting. Then you shoot people as they come 'onto your set'. Making it fun (and thus successful) is the key, and the photographer plays a big part in this. Bringing (or having there) lots of props can also add to the fun.

I've done it a few times, but it's kinda a hassle. I also have to bring another person on just to man the booth.

I get some darn funny photos, but for the most part it's a processing trainwreck. :)

I think that this is something that works well, on it's own....rather than something that is just tacked onto your wedding coverage.

For example, this would be great to set up at an office party.

Actually I see these all the time at Charity balls, corporate parties, hotel ballroom type of parties etc. Its common to see a white background one studio strobe high and center with a huge umbrella, and the camera is set to a black & white jpeg. Then prints can be made instantly and people can also order additional prints via a computer ordering station. One company even sets up a projector and a slide show of the photos being taken plays throughout the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back