Photo Competition Sites

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've started my search for sites that offer photo competitions. We'd like to move our studio to the "next level", and we're thinking that photo competitions may be the way to do that. Of course winning the competition would give us name recognition, and any help from expert judges would help too.
Which sites do you guys use for photo competitions? We're professionals, so competitions for ameteurs only wouldn't work for us. Also, I know the first post would be to search Google - I'm already doing that. I want to hear from those of you who have already gone through the process and found a good place to submit to.

The best place to go for competitions is probably a professional photographer's association. PPA or WPJA for example.

Most photographers who have gone through it, say that the very harsh judging process is an incredible learning tool...and when you actually do get recognition or win an award, it's all the more rewarding.

You could probably start with local associations and work your way up the the national ones.

Personally, I'd avoid any of the 'web site' contests...unless the website represents something that people will recognize...like a national magazine etc.
Be aware that there are several contest 'scams' out there...who just want to string you along and get you to purchase something like a photo book.

Personally, I'd avoid any of the 'web site' contests...unless the website represents something that people will recognize...like a national magazine etc.
Be aware that there are several contest 'scams' out there...who just want to string you along and get you to purchase something like a photo book.

And always read the fine print. Many of the contests out there are nothing more than "stock shopping"....by entering the contest, you agree to give up all rights to the photograph(s), and from that point forward, they may use them in any way they please.

You could probably start with local associations and work your way up the the national ones.

In fact, the APPI convention is later this month (hmmm.... :scratch: wasn't it always in March?).

Anyway, they will have an accredited judging. If you go just for the day and sit in on some of that, you'll get a good idea of what's what.

-Pete

So you don't have to actually enter the contest to sit in on the judging?

That's right. But don't think of it as a "contest," since you're competing against a set of conventional standards and not other photographers. It's like being graded on a test.

There is something as stake too. Members in good standing of both the state association and the PPA with a print awarded a score of 80 or more will be granted a "merit." When a photographer accumulates 25 merits, he earns the degree of Master of Photography.

Membership and entry fees, along with the cost of the prints, can add up. Only four submissions are accepted at an event.

Nothing hurts more than getting a 79. It's like being told, "It good, but we don't think it's good enough."

I've not entered for many years. I've got four or five merits around here somewhere. It is certainly newsworthy when you do get one, and the local press usually runs the story when you submit a press release.

-Pete

Ummmmmm, press release...........

Send it to every newspaper in a 50 mile radius too.

Most reactions

Back