Photo contests... without a fee??

christin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't understand why you have to PAY to enter into a photo contest.. especially if they are amateur photo contests..

Anyone know of any online contests that don't charge a fee to enter? I've only entered local contests for random prizes or bragging rights. Nothing on a more competitive level.

Because there are tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of aspiring photographers that REALLY want someone to tell them they are good, so they are willing to pay money to enter contests in order to win.... Thereby making the person who puts on the contests some money.

Beware of photo contests in general, free or otherwise. Usually, if you read the fine print, you are giving someone the full rights to then use your photo any way that they please with no further compensation to you, and it has nothing to do with whether you win or not - they do.

And since they expect that folks will be submitting their very best images, guess what they get out of the deal? One to three people get useless bragging rights, while the sponsers get a boatload of good or even great photos to use/sell as they please.

Further any prize award that is given out is raised from the "fee" to join the competition. Thus the company/person running the competition wins on all fronts whilst those entering lose both the rights to their photo - the profits from that photos commercial use and also their entrance fee. A handfull will get a tiny prize and a handshake and maybe a bit of time on the companies website (and they might only get a name mention with no link to their online portfolio).

These sort of competitions are the kind you want to avoid. Further look in the terms and conditions of any competition - yes its boring legal speak but read it - especially with regard to copyright.
It's generally accepted that the company can post your photo in conjunction with promotion of the competition itself - however you don't want them to have a licence to sell to 3rd parties - nor to use in any context without royalties.

i dont generally enter contests for that same reason.. you have to pay to play.. kind of a turn off.. but i do recommend people to join free ones when they can.. helps build awareness of your work / name as well as great way to get feedback and creative criticism..
i dont search much for online contests but i would be remiss if i didnt mention a friends site who just launched their 1st contest
photomodelnetwork.com -
and yes its free.. prizes are apparently awarded via american express gift card.
worth checking out

Thanks for the link Cyngus!....just signed up and entered the contest now. The site seems solid alot better than others out there. Really glad you posted the link!

Do you know how many out of focus kitty cat shots there would be if all photo contests were free and entrants could put unlimited entries in them? To some extent, it is to thin out the crowd a bit.

yah dp review def has a bunch to forgot about that

glad u dig the site dchiarito.. make sure u let them know =)

Do you know how many out of focus kitty cat shots there would be if all photo contests were free and entrants could put unlimited entries in them? To some extent, it is to thin out the crowd a bit.

Most legit photo contests which are free to enter tend to have limits - eg 1 - 3 shots per person per topic (if the competition has multiple sub topics). The fee based ones however tend to be more open and allow any number of entries per person - so long as you pay for each entry ;) They aren't about thinning the crowd they are pure and simple about generating income with little effort from the organiser.

agreed overread =) the one on PMN is for members only.. and 1 entry per user.. so i guess they are just looking to build their new community

Most legit contests have entry fees. Fact of life, bro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back