Photo editing monitor everyday use

Sonyjoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, quick question here after not really finding anything meaningful in search. I am finally upgrading from a standard 24 inch monitor to a 27 inch photo editing monitor. I don’t really need a dual monitor setup or do I? Is it okay to use a photo editing monitor for everyday use such as web surfing, and everything else we use a computer for? More specifically, is it damaging to a photo editing monitor to just use it to do everything I use a computer for?
Thanks

I use a photo editing monitor for everyday use - NEC PA242W with the Spectraview II calibratable puck and software. It doesn;t get damaged from everyday use. NEC has newer units.

Photo monitors are normally re-calibrated every so often in any case. You should get one that is calibratable. Very simple to use.

Thanks for the info..

As much as I wish my wallet would stretch, it won't and the minute it will, I may look at an external editing monitor, for now and for me, I think my Macbook Pro 15.4 Retina is enough.. And lets be honest, when my wallet stretches it'll be to a pack of NiSi filters and a 14-24 :D

MY take is, yes you can, but . . .

For me a properly calibrated photo monitor is TOO BRIGHT to look at for most computer applications. The BRIGHT WHITE screen/window, like the forum screen you are looking at right now, makes me feels like I am looking at a light bulb.
I have to turn down the brightness on my monitor, to the level that a white screen/window, is not too bright for MY eyes.
As a result my photos don't have as much brightness range on my monitor.

Unfortunately, I have only seen ONE monitor, an old Sony CRT, that had a bright/dim switch, where I could calibrate the bright setting for photos and dim the screen for everything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back