Photo editing software Questions....

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all. Just a quick question pertaining to software questions.

I need to purchase a new computer this year. My work has gotten to a point where speed matters when I am editing, and this old clunker can slow down a LOT when I am in Photoshop.

My workflow right now is as follows:

CAMERA>PICASA 3>Photoshop CS

In order to stay as future-proof as I can in the computer world, I am considering a jump to a Quad Core system with 5-8 gigs of ram. HOWEVER that means I will HAVE to run Vista 64-bit edition.

So that poses a problem. I certainly don't have the several hundred dollars available to go purchase the latest version of Photoshop.

So here are my various questions that I hope someone can help me with!

1. Will my old version of Photoshop CS work on a 64 bit operating system?
2. Does the MUCH cheaper Photoshop ELEMENTS 7 have pretty much everything I need, including cloning tools, dodging and burning, layers, etc.
3. Anyone know of a way to get CS4 or a previous version CHEAPER than normal? Maybe an older version is clearanced somewhere?!
4. Am I being stupid, and I should just stick to a dual core machine and a 32 bit operating system?

Anyone? :gah:

firstly- why are you running windows? if youre going to buy a new computer get a mac! also, you can either use a site like the pirate bay to d/l CS3/4 or go to their website, download the trial version, and then download a hack for the version online. i.e you'll need a registered name and product number etc. its simple!

Well, I prefer not to download the software illegally.

Also, I'd LOVE a Mac. However a comparable Mac computer would cost over 1200 dollars, which I cannot afford.

RMT

Photoshop will work with the 64bit OS, however there aren't a whole lot of programs that do. If you are going to be using this computer for anything else other than photoshoping, I would just stick with the 32bit and 4 gigs of ram. As far as discounted software, probably not going to happen. The only way to get it cheaper is an upgrade or, using a crack.

I may be wrong about this, but from my reading, I believe that CS4 is the first 64bit photoshop, and that is only for the Windows version. Mac changed something that would have required a rewrite on Adobe's part which they declined to do. This does not mean that older versions will not work on a 64bit system, but the program can only use up to 2gb of RAM where as 64bit software can use whatever you can throw at it (forget the exact number, but it is higher than anything you can get). This may make a difference for your depending on what you do with it. Could anyone confirm?

Any 32bit software should work in a 64bit OS, just with the memory limitations.

You may be able to find a student who could get you a copy for the student price. I dont know if that is legal or not though.

The more cpu power you give it the faster your renders will be. If you are just doing basic editing on normal sized files, maybe a more modest upgrade would serve you just as well, but if you are dealing with large files doing more intensive alterings, then the quad core cpu would definitely help.

If you give us some more info, we may be able to provide more specific advise.

As for the Mac recommendation, there is no reason to spend the money for the Mac unless you know there is some software that you need that is exclusively on Mac. I have yet to use a Mac that is as stable as my Windows XP system, but I have completely customized my installation, so YMMV. They use the same hardware and charge you over twice the cost of a home built Windows system so there will be no noticeable performance improvements.

Last edited:
As for the Mac recommendation, there is no reason to spend the money for the Mac unless you know there is some software that you need that is exclusively on Mac. I have yet to use a Mac that is as stable as my Windows XP system, but I have completely customized my installation, so YMMV. They use the same hardware and charge you over twice the cost of a home built Windows system so there will be no noticeable performance improvements.
That and why would you want a system you cant even change out your components on. Remember RM Win 7 is coming out soon enough and, from the reviews I have read so far it is much better than Vista. Im still on XP myself. As far as CS being 64 bit compatable you might try searching Adobe but, I do believe it is. What Im hoping Win 7 will have is a simular thing that XP has for older programs, except it would let you run 32bit programs on a 64bit system. It would be nice if they would do that. I never upgrade to XP 64 because to tell the truth it sucked.

I may be wrong about this, but from my reading, I believe that CS4 is the first 64bit photoshop, and that is only for the Windows version. Mac changed something that would have required a rewrite on Adobe's part which they declined to do. This does not mean that older versions will not work on a 64bit system, but the program can only use up to 2gb of RAM where as 64bit software can use whatever you can throw at it (forget the exact number, but it is higher than anything you can get). This may make a difference for your depending on what you do with it. Could anyone confirm?

Any 32bit software should work in a 64bit OS, just with the memory limitations.

You may be able to find a student who could get you a copy for the student price. I dont know if that is legal or not though.

The more cpu power you give it the faster your renders will be. If you are just doing basic editing on normal sized files, maybe a more modest upgrade would serve you just as well, but if you are dealing with large files doing more intensive alterings, then the quad core cpu would definitely help.

If you give us some more info, we may be able to provide more specific advise.

I am mostly dealing with large JPGs, not even RAWs, but it helps if I can have large numbers of them (in the dozens) open at one time. Some of the filters I use (like Grain) take 15 seconds to load everytime I use them.

My current system is a AMD 3300 with 1.5 gigs of ram. I built it myself using a Compaq shell and MOBO, and it WAS a decent gaming machine, 6 years ago.

I am still debating between dual core and quad core. Other than Photoshop and Picasa, etc, I mostly use the computer for general internet activities. I don't play many games on here anymore, so i am not that worried.

I remember that in the past, PC World magazine has done speed tests and often the initial versions of new programs have NOT been faster.

I would want to see speed test results that make quad core and/or 64 bit worthwhile in terms of an improvement in that area. Otherwise, what are you paying for?

skieur

I would also suggest getting an external hard drive for storage purposes. That will free up space and speed up your computer

... I am considering a jump to a Quad Core system with 5-8 gigs of ram. HOWEVER that means I will HAVE to run Vista 64-bit edition. ..
Why the need for so much RAM? 4GB is plenty and you will also save on having to buy another OS. (XP 64 is more stable at this time anyways.)

... 4. Am I being stupid, and I should just stick to a dual core machine and a 32 bit operating system? ...
No, qood question, but why since you're after speed, why not go with a quad core, 4 GB RAM, and stay with your 32 bit OS?

A 32-bit system can only really make use of 4gb of RAM to run programs with because of the limits on addressing and how memory mapping is done.

A 64-bit system can use a LOT more.

Vista 64 is pretty stable and, yes, can run Photoshop 32 bit code. The biggest issue with 64bit Windows at the moment is drivers but even that is getting better as more and more device manufacturers are embracing 64 bit computing.

One of my work machines is an HP Quad core with 8gb of memory running Vista 64. I've not had any problems running the latest PS on it.

So far I can only speak to Win7 on laptops as that's all I've been dogfooding it on and I don't play with PS on the work laptop.

Hope the helps.

- Maura

I see no reason to jump on the 64bit bandwagon right now. What you're trying to do requires nothing more than a good dual core system with 4GB RAM. There's no sense spending money on features you'll likely not need.

Get a use iMac, you'll be much happier. I'm a recovering Windows user. I used Windows since the 1.x days and a couple of years ago I switched to Mac after Vista came out. Vista is such a turd, it's practically useless to me. I HATE IT.

Stick with 32 bit, get 4 Gigs of RAM. I work with 250 Meg files all the time, no problem. Get XP if you can find it, avoid Vista.

You're computer-savvy, so no need to deal with Macs. The applications you're talking about are the same on either system, so the differences in GUI and other OS aspects don't matter once you're working inside the applications. Save the money and spend it on better gear, or better yet: some highly specialized apps like Nik Sharpener Pro.

Do not steal software (as suggested by a newer member in this thread). It is illegal, and immoral.

A 32-bit system can only really make use of 4gb of RAM to run programs with because of the limits on addressing and how memory mapping is done.

A 64-bit system can use a LOT more.

Vista 64 is pretty stable and, yes, can run Photoshop 32 bit code. The biggest issue with 64bit Windows at the moment is drivers but even that is getting better as more and more device manufacturers are embracing 64 bit computing.

One of my work machines is an HP Quad core with 8gb of memory running Vista 64. I've not had any problems running the latest PS on it.

So far I can only speak to Win7 on laptops as that's all I've been dogfooding it on and I don't play with PS on the work laptop.

Hope the helps.

- Maura

This is what I was getting at earlier. I was in a hurry when I typed my first post. I have played around with the 64bit version of xp and it seems like I remember having problems with my router. Anyway, 32bit xp or Vista with 4gigs of ram will fly. Get a good graphics card and a NICE dual core processor. I say nice becuase in a recent PC mag article they actually got better scores out of a dual core than they did a quad core. The key is to get a decent level processor. Don't get the bottom of the line, but you don't have to have the top either. Just my .02.

Unless you are in the software industry, I would doubt you can make use of more than a dual core enough to offset the cost. Most applications are not written to make the best use of multi-processors so it becomes a waste of money.

I'm a software tester, thus the huge desktop box.

I think if it were me and I was not doing 3d rendering or other intense processing like that, I'd buy a dual core 64bit (because it will last me down the road) with about 4 gb ram minumum and a big hard drive. Make sure the graphics card is reasonable, with decent memory of its own as well. I talked to an ex-Adobe friend and they agreed with this as well.

- Maura

Stick with 32 bit, get 4 Gigs of RAM. I work with 250 Meg files all the time, no problem. Get XP if you can find it, avoid Vista.

You're computer-savvy, so no need to deal with Macs. The applications you're talking about are the same on either system, so the differences in GUI and other OS aspects don't matter once you're working inside the applications. Save the money and spend it on better gear, or better yet: some highly specialized apps like Nik Sharpener Pro.

Do not steal software (as suggested by a newer member in this thread). It is illegal, and immoral.

Thanks. This is probably the best route for me.

I like XP and the older version of CS. I downloaded a trial of CS4 and i HATE it. Everything's attempted to be more streamlined means more clicked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back