Photo editing software recommendation

soswald

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I like the simple fix ups I can do in iPhoto, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't save slider settings but instead renders the settings onto the photo and zeroes the sliders out. If I work on a photo and save it, when I go back to the previous photo I can no longer tell what has been done to the photo.

PictureProject saves all the slider settings, but is not able to make as many adjustments as iPhoto.

Is there a program that combines the best of both worlds: editing options of iPhoto with the saved settings of PictureProject? I like to quickly import and slightly tweak photos, so Photoshop is more than what I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I like the simple fix ups I can do in iPhoto, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't save slider settings but instead renders the settings onto the photo and zeroes the sliders out. If I work on a photo and save it, when I go back to the previous photo I can no longer tell what has been done to the photo.

PictureProject saves all the slider settings, but is not able to make as many adjustments as iPhoto.

Is there a program that combines the best of both worlds: editing options of iPhoto with the saved settings of PictureProject? I like to quickly import and slightly tweak photos, so Photoshop is more than what I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have you looked at Photoshop Elements 7?

Picasa 3 and Photoscape are free but I have no experience with them.

And then there is GIMP.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried picasa but it says it only works on intel based macs (which I don't have, I guess). It looks like Photoscape doesn't have a mac version. Damn.

On topic, how "proffessional" is photoshop CS4? (In terms of user friendly after learning, features, ect.)

On topic, how "proffessional" is photoshop CS4? (In terms of user friendly after learning, features, ect.)
well it's what all the "professionals" use so it ver professional. You can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in it. It might not be as user friendly at the beggining but in time you get used to it. Also for exposure and such Lightroom is great.

well it's what all the "professionals" use so it ver professional. You can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in it. It might not be as user friendly at the beggining but in time you get used to it. Also for exposure and such Lightroom is great.

Yea, I'm looking at some true photo editing software and I am one who likes to buy something only once and get the best, so I've been doing alot of reading on it. I realize it takes a lot of time to get aquainted with it, but right now I have more than enough time to do it. Thanks :thumbup:

All the photography big wigs will tell you to use Photoshop, but it's stinkin expensive. If you don't feel like spending all the money you can get awesome results even with the MUCH cheaper Paint Shop Pro by Corel.

Ok given that your using Picture Project (you're a Nikon shooter) already you should look at the demo of Capture NX 2, and given that you're using a mac you should also have a look at the Aperture demo.

Aperture should work on a non intel mac but you need to have a suitable graphic card - About halfway down on this page is an Aperture compatibility checker. Its a small download and will save you downloading the entire program if it turns out that the machine you're running isn't suitable.

As a long time web designer, and beginner photographer, I use Photoshop CS3 (haven't upgraded yet), but work paid for it. It's freakin expensive, so try to get a student version, or Photoshop Elements, which is kind of a watered down version, but still plenty capable.

If you can't get those, try GIMP.

I already have Photoshop and it is great for when I want to do a lot of work on an individual photo. My problem with photoshop is that I can't whip through a bunch of photos and make quick adjustments, which is what I tend to do. It also isn't handy for looking though a bunch of photos to show friends, do a slideshow or whatever.

I just tried NX 2, and it seems a little better than photoshop in that regard, but not as quick n' easy as I'd like. I need to spend more time with it though.

I use Photoshop Elements 7 and Picassa 3. I think that for a photographer Elements is enough, you can do basic pp and go further, CS4 is more for a Graphics Artist.

lightroom is way better than aperture,,, i strongly recommend you check out lightroom.. its all i use

There's a all bunch of great progs, the only thing is for you to choose the one you feel more comfortable with (as a beginner).

Here is my list of prog I use in a regular basis :
- Photoshop CS2 (or higher) + all the plug ins of Nik products
- Lightroom
- Picasa 3 (used to)
- Capture NX2
- Photomatix (for HDR)
- Artizen Pro HDR

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back