Photo editing software ?'s

Just a very brief aside to "Mav" (for which I apologize to the rest of you) ...

Good Grief! What part of the OP's original question and my WHOLE answer didn't you read? The OP is clearly not a "young beginner." Nobody said anything about stealing software. CRman has obviously just spent considerable $ on a new DSLR and a new computer, so he's apparently NOT a starving student. He stated clearly that he intends to spend +/- $500. I was just recommending a combination (Lightroom + PS Elements - NOT CS3! - which in my considered opinion would work for THIS PARTICULAR PERSON.

I stand by my original post ...

I'd stick with ps7.

there are lots and lots of tutoials on u tube.

real step by step stuff

I say the same thing in every post like this... PaintShop Pro X2 all the way. It's under a hundred bucks and compared to PS it can do everything it does with both applications having pros and cons.

With that said, you already have a great program (PS7).

I recommend Photoshop Elements 5.0. Worked great for me.

You can get it pretty cheaply on ebay -> Link

1. Because all of that Adobe software is super expensive.
2. Because lots of beginners are young here and might not have the money for that, and I'm sure you're not suggesting they "obtain" illegal copies. ;)
3. Because in a lot of cases it's way more than you need.
4. Because that money might be better spent on another lens or some accessories for starters.

What you say normally makes sense ...

BUT he already has PS7 - for "free" at that.

I think everyone is advising him to learn PS7 and to save the $500 for another lens.

Photoshop CS3 is great if you ever plan to use RAW. I would suggest using photoshop 7 and then upgrading later to CS3.

I don't really understand the question. You have PS7, which is as good as anything that isn't photoshop, but you want something else? You can buy an upgrade for your PS7 to make it one of the CS versions.

If you just want something different, then I don't know.

Apples Aperture 2.0 costs $200 and I love it. A very little learning curve and enough free tutorials on the Apple website to get you going. Lightroom and Aperture both offer 30 day full version trials. I find PS overkill for most of the work I do but it is nice to have for the times I need it.

...but my favorite is the Gallery section. It enables you to make custom html or flash galleries with more templates available for download. it does all the work for you all you need to is drag the files over to your server or web hosting and you have a gallery up and running.

:shock:

Holy crap I had no idea it would do this! I am excited now to get home and see what I can make of this.

I would agree with the other Photoshop advocates here. Especially using Lightroom and Photoshop collaboratively if you're really looking to tweak your photos. Although I've never tried any of the other programs mentioned, I seem to get everything I want done in PS quite easily without many speed bumps.

I would use GIMP (Freeware) and place the 500$ on equipment and a book or 2 on photography. I'm not sure but GIMP may have limitations with RAW.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back