Photo Editing

Matty-Bass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! So I was wondering, since my SLR isn't digital, when I get my pictures developed. If I scan them in to my computer, will they be fairly easy to edit in photoshop? Because I'd love to edit my shots in P/S but since my cam isn't digital, I'll have to scan them in to do it.

Do pictures come out exactly the same as a digital edited picture might? Or is there a great difference?

I sort of want to know soon to determine how soon I want my digital SLR. Thanks everyone!

Hi Matty,
When you scan your pictures you're creating a digital file so Photoshop will be able to handle them.
The process of producing the digital file is what determines how close a representation of the original it is, for instance, if you scan a print it is one step removed from the original negative so there'll be some losses no matter how many DPI you scan at which is why, for best quality, there's scanners made for negatives.
So use a negative scanner if possible but scanning prints works too since I've made some darn good pics from print scans (IMHO) and Photoshop can help too.
How good do the pictures come out? Well. I assume you mean how well do they print and from my experience what I see on my monitor is what the print looks like with the usual caveat about using a good printing process.
HTH.
Sid.

That sounds good. I'm not worried about a little loss, I can always touch it up again in Photoshop. It has magical powers :drool: But this is good because now I don't have to get a digital camera soon. I will in time, but for now I might, depending on the quality of this camera, keep it or get this nice 400$ Pentax. It's a 35mm so it takes film, but it's nice. It's not black, if that matters :meh:

When I scan negs or prints I lose contrast and sharpness. Usually just edging in the levels to the sides of the histogram, and a little unsharp mask gets it back pretty close to what the print looks like.

I tested out my scanner just an old photograph, and this will be a piece of cake! :D

You aren't going to have the same control over the final output of your photo from scanning film, as you would from shooting raw with a DSLR, but it's a great alternative to the $1000 price tag of a dslr. When you develop your film, don't get prints made, and you'll save a bit of money.

I know what you mean Matt, the local developer place actually puts photos on disc for a small fee. I could save on development and just get them on disc! I guess the photo place has a negative scanner that they put them on disc, then I can edit them in PS and get the ones I want developed. It'll be like having a dSLR! I also get a flash tonite from my uncle! :D :D

Be careful of those scanning places. Sometimes the quality is really crap. I've heard horror stories on here about it. I've never personally done it... but I'd make sure that for the first set it's not too important they be of great quality - just in case.

Not to worry, the place I know of is great with it. It's basically owned by Kodak. We had our family's trip to Mexico pictures developed and on Disc, the disc pictures are awesome!

Most reactions

Back