Photo Editor?

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As of now I have Picasa from google as my photo editor. And I would like a more powerful editor that wont cost too much, any ideas?

I like Corel PhotoPaint.

And I would like a more powerful editor that wont cost too much, any ideas?
Define "too much". Corel Graphics Suite (which also includes the excellent CorelDraw) can be had for around $100 on eBay.

There are three main options: (1) The GIMP (www.gimp.org) is an excellent image editor with almost all the features of Adobe Photoshop, except for the price - it's freeware. It does however have a bit of a learning curve.

(2) Adobe Photoshop Elements: (Current ver 6) Is essentially a 'light' version of Photoshop, with most of the main tools that you will need, and generally sells for around $100.

(3) Corel PaintShop Pro (Current ver X2/12) is my recommendation; it contains a better featureset than Photoshop Elements, and is comparable in price, if not slightly cheaper, and is able to use almost all Photoshop plugins.

photoincollege said:
I would say photoshop elements, or lightroom but lightroom is a bit pricier.
Note that while an outstanding application, Adobe Lightroom is only for processing RAW images. If you shoot RAW (and I strongly recommend it) this is an essential tool, BUT you will still need a photo-editor of the above-mentioned style for all of your non-RAW needs.

GIMP. I don't understand why this doesn't get recommended to the price conscious out there. It's an editor more like Photoshop and less like Picasa or Lightroom.

Gimp is a very good program. I would probably second it. *blush* Ive never actualy used photoshop elements but I have used the corel programs and their very good as well. You can always try gimp as its free and if you dont like it THEN spend money on something else.

thanks alot and i will look into all of those programs!

GIMP. I don't understand why this doesn't get recommended to the price conscious out there. It's an editor more like Photoshop and less like Picasa or Lightroom.

my post two above yours said:
There are three main options: (1) The GIMP (www.gimp.org) is an excellent image editor with almost all the features of Adobe Photoshop, except for the price - it's freeware. It does however have a bit of a learning curve.

That's not enough of a recommendation for you???

yea i got gimp and it a pretty powerful tool for something free

I use CS3 at the moment, but i used to use Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006. For me it was the perfect steping stone for CS3. Its almost 100% idiot proof. And does most things all the top end programs do, but way more user friendly. You can get it of Amazon.com for about $90 :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back