Photo Forum is Changing rant.

YES!!!! I haven't even read through the rest of the thread but I can't help but comment on this. I've seen one member in the past week go from asking what DSLR he should buy to telling people what DSLR they should buy to telling some one that flash can be the best thing in the world if they learn to use it and get it off camera....but that he doesn't know how to buy it. The kid hasn't even bought a camera yet..
....I for one am not shy when it comes to pointed these people out.
(partial) quote]

VI - I'm with you on this specific point... I know It's singling-out an individual forum member, but - the hell, when I see this particular poster asking newbie questions in one thread and giving uninformed advice in another thread, it's like WHAT...?:x
I have been going to post a challenge to this guy several times.
Next time - I will do just that.
Jedo

Rule of Thirds? I hate it when people refer to it as a "rule".. it is more like a "suggestion". There are thousands of well received photos that break that so called "rule". Really.. does art have boundaries or rules?

There's no proper of improper exposure either... If the exposure actually distracts or prevents the photo from achieving its intent, then the exposure is an issue.

For example, studio photographers often blow out the backdrop to achieve a pure white background. The exposure is not improper... the intent of the photo is still achieved.

Another example, a silhouette of a person done by underexposure. The subject is completely blacked out but the exposure is not improper... the intent of the photo is still achieved.

Again.. open you minds... art has no definition, boundaries, nor rules. Look beyond the technicalities.

Dave127, I tried to find your posted photos for C&C. I only found one:

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125619

A little suggestion (and for all that want one), you need to do more than post picture and ask for an opinion. You need to give a little background, what you want to achieve with the photo, and ask specific questions on what type of feedback you need. Pretend you are starting a discussion... to do so, you need to give a little to get something back.

If you simply post and ask "what do you think?", that's exactly the type of response you are going to get... "I like it"/"I don't like it".

IIRC, there used to be a FAQ on C&C around here someplace.

Thanks I will add more information and ask more specific questions. I forget that what I'm thinking isn't always what I'm saying/writing.

I haven't found that FAQ but will look for it.

Isnt it only fair to give an honest review of the photo so the poster can learn? Thats what I want. And honestly, I enjoy your C&C but you are the first to nit pick (i.e. "digital sky"). This pic is so far from great, lets be upfront so the poster can grow as an artist. To just say "oh fine its for what it is" is cheating them. Its selfish.

Don't tell me what an honest critique is.

It should give you pause that ordinarily I'd be jumping all over the photo but in this case I am not.

There is a time an a place for learning other tools. You should pick your battles. School them on a photo where it's actually appropriate to have a 4-stop range and shadowless subjects. Because kids playing on a beach during a bright day on a family outing is not one of them.

You seem really angry :(
Things you do dont really give me pause. I stand by my post

Well, I read and read and read... for four pages worth. :)

Arch said:
IMO forums are for asking more experienced people questions just as much as displaying and sharing your work. Yes, it can be annoying when someone asks a question that was answered just the day before... and in some cases i too request that the member use the search tool etc... but if your going to loose your rag with people then its time to stop browsing the beginners section.

What gets my goat is that when you tell them to search to find a more complete or better answer, they are all insulted. At that point... I don't bother with them anymore... and I do mean DON'T bother with them ever. YOu have to love the ignore feature here... works a charm. ;) A few times I got riled up, and people labeled me "grumpy", "angry", etc... No prob, I could care less. Instead of reading each post in the beginners section, I look at the subject and poster. If the topic sucks (non descriptive), it gets passed over. If it is another one of those "what camera...", it gets passed over too.

That_One_Guy said:
I am 100% for helping to educate budding photogs. I was new once and someone helped me out. Hell, I still need help now and TPF is the first place I turn to. If I answer the same type of question 1000 times, then I know that I have helped 1000 people.

No... you are promoting repetition, not knowledge. Also, all the members here DESERVE to not have to read your post 1000 times over. You are also promoting that condoning that there is no work needed to get an answer. You are promoting laziness.

Iron_Flatline said:
Actually, I've seen a number of communities wither away due to lots of venting and not much "foruming."

One of my most valued and favorite forum of all times died a horrible death due to newbies more or less taking over and setting the forum direction. I am not saying that constant venting is good, its not, and in that sense, I am 100% with you... however, venting should be a danger sign to the administrative staff that the little pea that was rolled off the top of the mountain is gaining size and becoming the start of a terrible avalanche. Its a sign for attention.

eravedesigns said:
These stupid rant threads are whats hurting the forum. Just shut up and accept the fact that you cant change peoples free speech on a forum and everyone has the right to post. Mods cant just delete every retarded post to try and create a false image of an amazing forum.

Yes, they can, sometimes, they should... but I think the better thing is for the retards posting the retarded posts to take responsibility for their actions. They also need to take responsibility for their own edification and stop needing to be spoon fed. As someone mentioned... the only thing missing is that they get someone else to change their diaper, near nothing else is missing. People do not come here to be hand-held, they come to learn. An intelligent person will look for the best way to learn... that "retard" that you refer to will tell people to stop complaining and tell everyone that HIS way is the ONLY way. Not in my book... there are many ways to learn, and very few of them involve me asking questions on a forum that have been answered thousands of times before.

rhys said:
I really wish people would not confuse knowing every little thing about a topic with making it into a business. The two things are entirely separate.

(and another one from the same person)

... remember the rule of thirds and you'll have a darned good base for calling yourself a real photographer.

(sorry rhys, I'm not picking on you but... damn, the comment below deserves a retort!)

The best way to learn about lighting is by trial and error

Holy crap, rhys, but man, you have a talent for saying some funny crap under the pretense of you trying to be serious. I'm not picking on you, but...

Comment #1... one would HOPE that a professional KNOWS what they are doing in the BUSINESS that they are making money with. Especially when YOU are paying THEM for their expertise and ability to deliver a product... not so much concerning their business acumen.

Comment #2... a "real photographer" is defined by a helluva lot more than ONE SINGLE general and over used SUGGESTION (its sure not a RULE in most people's books, mine included).

Comment #3... the best way to learn is not by trial and error, its by LEARNING and then practicing to perfect. I do not need to take 500 pictures to get the right aperture/ISO/shutter speed. I can look at someone's EXIF data and LEARN from it, start from there and likely get to where I want a lot faster... like within 3-4 pics.

Finally, no doubt I am concerned. As I mentioned, I saw a wonderful forum die because this very similar scenario happening here. If people do not take this seriously, and adjust accordingly, it is easily possible that what I saw happen before, could happen here. Sticking our heads in the sand will not make it go away, but positive action to help guide people by the administrative staff as well as key forum leaders setting the standards to assist in setting the direction and methods that are considered the right way to act and learn here will make all the difference.

My 2 cents and only post in this thread.

TPF, I wish you luck... because I do like it here and would wish to continue coming here to learn.

Most reactions

Back