Photo ideas with a fast[er] lens

mikeWest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,
I have a Canon T2i and I got the 50 mm / f1.8 canon lens. Does anyone have any suggestions for shots to try with this lens? Something that will help me get the most out of this lens. What is a good fast lens good for? (Beyond blurring out BGs in portraits etc...)

Anything that needs a lot of light and can tolerate a low depth of field.

Low light and action comes to mind.

Action also needs a fast autofocus, or a good photographer who can manage manual focus.

Hum ... kind of interesting. Personally, I think it should be the other way around. For example, you like to take a photo with the desire effect and find out that a different lens can help. So you purchase the lens to complete the task. Instead of buy a tool and look for a way to use it afterward.

Just go out and take a bunch of pictures in a bunch of different settings in a bunch of different scenarios. Learn first hand just what that lens can do. My 50 1.8 is sharpest at 5.6, yours may be different.

Nothing allows you to learn better than doing.

The two main "uses" for a fast lens are shallow DoF and low-light work. Try working with the lens wide-open relatively close to the subject, say 4-6' and work on getting just part of a face (or whatever in focus).

While wide apertures can be used in low light situations to let in more light, that capability comes with a couple of costs.

Few wide aperture (fast) lens deliver their sharpest focus wide open. The reason for that is the shape of a lens makes it thinner towards the edges than in the middle. Light coming through the edges focuses at a different distance than the light that comes through the thicker middle of the lens.
Lens makers add corrective lens to help that, but in an inexpensive consumer grade lens like the 50 mm f/1.8 II many of those corrective lenses are made of resin (plastic) rather than high quality glass.

Another cost is shallow of depth-of-field (DoF). Using the lens wide open, and having a point of focus (PoF) that is close to the camera makes for very shalow DoF, and many new to photography have substantial problems getting what they want in focus, in focus.

Which brings up one of the technical areas a lot of new photographers have difficulty understanding - DoF - Understanding Depth of Field in Photography, because DoF is affected by PoF distance, background distance, lens focal length, and lens aperture.

Um Depth of Field isnt really affected by background distance.

Distance of the Focus, focal length, lens aperture, those are the three variables that decide about the size of the depth of field.

Background distance has no influence on depth of field.

The question is of course if background and foreground distance are inside the depth of field or not, but they dont have any influence by itself.

Great lens for portrait shots. You can blow the background out very nice. Use f/2.8 and take it out and about. The beautiful thing about this lens is that your feet is your zoom so you have to put in work to get the picture you desire. If you want blow out the back ground even more, use a tripod for that perfect sturdier shot. That lens is a must have in any photographers bag.

I found that the fast lens are good for weddings where the lights are really low. They definitely come in handy!

it's easy to tell, you can get a greater aperture value......Well, I'm joking ~
Actually, if you've ever heard the "reciprocity", it's easily to find the advantage of a fast lens, that you can use a higher shutter speed in dark environment without raise the ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back