Photo legalities.

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so in my area there was a news story lately about a 16 year old girl who was doing photos with a local photographer and she claimed he got her drunk, drugged and raped her. now. in the news story they were going from showing the girl (face blacked out) back to photos of model photographs, now I actually know people in these photographs, they only showed like 30-40% of the photo or so in each little slide, and I was just curious about what permission would be needed to show this

if these were owned by photographer X would the news need permission from him to show the photos? or if since say they were on the internet could they film part of that going on the grounds of being on display. or can they do it based on the fact they arn't showing the full photography?I would think photographer X would not want the photos used because well everyone in our area new exactly who it was based on the photos.

It has caused quiet a storm on facebook, with certain magazines and certain companies not wanting to be mentioned on people posts and the fear of lible lawsuits because everyone know's who this guy is and his name is being thrown around a lot (no girl I know who has worked with him had anything good at all to say about him) but it just got me to wondering on how the news was able to run the photos.

Just the introduction gave me some insite into how there able to do that. Bookedmarked it and will have to finish later. This is an area where I definatly want to spend more time on. thanks.

Yes, it's definitely a good idea to be familiar with the rules/laws governing photo usage. Of course, the best place to get information, would be a lawyer who deals with copyrights and intellectual properties...and who practices in your area/jurisdiction.

As far as I understand it, the term 'Fair Use' is key here. Most journalism falls under the 'fair use' umbrella, so it's most likely OK for them to use the images.

Yeah, I will eventually get to the layer route, but think right now my time would be best spent just learning all the generalities, lingo, definitions so that when I do speak with a lawyer i'm not spending hours on him explaining the raw basics to me. Again more time realising screwing around in school is costing me more time as an adult then it should. That and I like to try and work things out for myself and then go to someone experienced to double check i'm right on my thinking. Did that with my accountant and at least went in having a good idea of what i needed to know.

Actually looking forward to winter time and having things slow down a little bit where I can start hitting the books again.

This is the Internetz.......... everyone is a legal expert
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back